Chapter 8

Miranda's POV

As I reached for one of the three remaining gifts, I heard my stomach give a loud grumble. I felt my cheeks turn a rosy shade of pink.

"Let's take a break and get some food, sound good?" Mother suggested. I nodded.

We all rose and walked into the kitchen, I stared at the clock, that couldn't be right! It was already two in the afternoon? No wonder I was hungry!

We all helped mother make salads before sitting down at the table. We ate in silence, which for once I was thankful for. I needed time to think about what I was going to do.

I wanted to go to Middle Earth. I wanted to go more than anything, but the thought of not seeing my parents again gave me pause. I knew that if I asked them, they would tell me to follow my heart, to meet my real mother. But could I really do that knowing I would leave them alone to die? Could I just abandon them like that? But then I thought about going back to school, living an ordinary human existence. I knew I had made my decision, but now was not the time to share it. Now was the time for silence.

After we finished our food, we returned to the living room.

"What should I open next, Mother?" I asked her. I watched her tear up as she pointed to a large tall box with a red bow on top. The wrapping paper was red and green with birthday cakes all over it. I smiled at my mother and picked up the box. It was a bit lighter than I had expected. Then again, the last box that was this size had a beautiful elven sword and twin daggers within it. That made me think.

My eyes twinkled with hope as I tore the paper more furiously. I peeled off the packaging tape and peeked inside the box. A huge grin spread across my face. It was a new bow and quiver with arrows already inside.

The bow was made of light weight, but sturdy wood. The color of the wood was lighter than maple, but what caught my attention were the words carved into my new bow. "I naicele -o parting na- úqua compared ana i alasse -o omentie en-." I read aloud in Quenya. It was a wonderful saying. I would indeed travel, meeting and departing many times over again. But whenever I saw them again, I knew I would be overjoyed.

"Your mother told us that this bow was made especially for you, and none can use it but you," your father stated.

I nodded, "I understand." I told him. Already pulling out the quiver full of arrows. Inspecting the quiver, you found it to house over a dozen arrows and had a pocket with a whetstone in it. "Convenient." I said aloud. Before admiring the vine embroidery on my quiver. It was dark stained leather, which contrasted deliciously with the pale wood bow and arrows. It had green embroidery all over it, making it look like the trunk of a tree.

All that was left now were two mostly flat boxes. However, one was considerably longer than the other. I decided to pick up that one, it was heavier than I expected. I was tempted to give it a light shake but decided against it.

After I relieved the gift of its paper trappings, I ran my hand over top of the long wooden chest. I took a deep breath and opened it.

The inside was full of knives and throwing knives. The knives matched my sword and daggers in both look and feel. The throwing knives were curved pieces of sharp metal with ivory handles. This set had sheaths, I decided not to throw them unless I had to. Underneath them were a set of more modern ones. Black, and easily hidden, at least I hoped. Each had its own spot on my belt.

I turned to the last gift, I lifted the light box onto my lap and slowly pulled away the silver ribbon. I pulled off the top to find a pure white dress, a pair of black boots that matched the earlier outfit, and a pack. I pulled out the white long-sleeved dress and held it up.

"It's beautiful," I breathed. "Thank you! Thank you both so much!"

"You are very welcome," they responded with a smile.