Chapter 32

Third POV

As Miranda stared at the moon, Lord Elrond began reading the moon runes aloud. "Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole."

"Durin's day?" Bilbo asked.

Gandalf turned around to answer him, "It is the start of the Dwarves' New Year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together."

"This is ill news," Thorin said, "Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us."

"We still have time," Balin assured the dwarf prince.

"Time for what?" Bilbo asked.

"To find the entrance," Balin replied. "We have to be standing at exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened."

"So, this is your purpose, to enter the mountain?" Lord Elrond questioned.

"What of it?" Thorin growled.

"There are some who would not deem it wise." Elrond warned.

"What do you mean?" Gandalf asked.

"You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle Earth," Lord Elrond replied, walking away.

Everyone began filing away, Thorin noticed Miranda remained, still staring up at the moon. He began to approach her but Balin stopped him. "I think it best if we left her alone, Laddie. I imagine she needs some time to herself." Thorin turned and followed Balin away.

~*~

As the dwarves began to leave, Miranda was already on the road. She knew where they would be next, the goblin kingdom, then Beorn's house. She planned to beat them there. For this part of the future, she could not meddle in.

~*~

"Where's Miranda?" Bilbo asked.

Thorin looked around before sighing, "We cannot wait, she will have to catch up with us."

~*~

"You will follow them," Galadriel stated.

"Yes," Gandalf replied.

"You are right to help Thorin Oakenshield," Lady Galadriel said. "But I fear this quest has set in motion forces we do not yet understand. The riddle of the Morgul Blade must be answered. Something moves in the shadows, unseen, hidden from our sight. It will not show itself, not yet. But every day it grows in strength. You must be careful." Gandalf began to walk away but Galadriel called out to him, "Mithrandir. Why the halfling?"

"I do not know. Saruman believes that it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. But why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid, and he gives me courage."

"Do not be afraid, Mithrandir, you are not alone. If you should ever need my help, I will come." Galadriel said, then disappeared.