Chapter 26

Miranda's POV

I had already signed the contract the previous night and now was on my way back to the Lonely Mountain. It seemed very surreal to me to be going back so soon after leaving, perhaps it was always my fate.

"10 coins say the hobbit doesn't come!" one of the dwarves called.

"I say 20 he does," I said, winking at Gandalf.

As others placed their bets, I thought back to the song that was sung around the fire the night before.

Far over the Misty Mountains cold,

To dungeons deep, and caverns old.

We must away ere break of day,

To find our long-forgotten gold.

The pines were roaring on the height,

The winds were moaning in the night.

The fire was red, it flaming spread,

The trees like torches, blazed with light.

It was a truly beautiful song, but it was hard for me to hear. Smaug was close to my heart but I knew that I may never tell the dwarves.

"Wait! Wait!" I heard Bilbo's voice calling out behind us. "I signed it!"

"Well," Balin said, "Everything seems to be in order. Welcome Bilbo Baggins to the company of Thorin Oakenshield."

"What are they doing?" I heard Bilbo ask Gandalf, getting situated on his pony as money was being passed around.

"Oh, they took wages on whether or not you'd turn up," Gandalf replied.

"Most of them bet that you wouldn't," I added.

"What did you two think?" Bilbo asked.

"What do you think?" I asked him as we both caught a bag of coins.

We continued riding until night.

"You know Miranda," Gandalf started, "I have known that horse to answer to only one master."

"Who?" I asked.

"An elf princess, but she went missing some 20 years ago." He replied.

"Curious." I said, wanting the conversation to end.

"Very curious indeed." Gandalf replied before he started talking to Bilbo and I was left with my thoughts.

We continued riding until the sun had set. "We camp here for the night!" Thorin called and everyone started to unpack.