Chapter 44

Third POV

The company rode to the edge of the forest of Mirkwood. When they dismounted, Gandalf said, "The elven gate. Here lies our path through Mirkwood."

"No sign of the orcs. We have luck on our side," Dwalin said, but Gandalf didn't look so sure.

Gandalf looked to the top of the ridge where Beorn stood in his bear form. "Turn the ponies loose," He ordered. "Let them return to their master."

"This forest feels...sick," Bilbo commented upon entering. "As if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?"

"Not unless we go 200 miles north or twice that distance south," Gandalf replied, wandering deeper into the dark forest. He walked past the elven gate and past a beautiful statue now encased in vines. He pushed aside the vines and stumbled backwards. There painted on the stone was an eye. Gandalf rushed out of the forest and stopped the dwarves from setting his horse loose. "Not my horse! I need it!"

"You're leaving us?" Bilbo asked.

"I would not do this unless I had to," Gandalf assured him. "You've changed, Bilbo Baggins. You're not the same hobbit as the one who left the shire."

"I was going to tell you," Bilbo said shifting his weight uneasily. "I- I found something in the goblin tunnels."

"Found what?" Gandalf asked suspiciously. "What did you find?"

Bilbo watched Gandalf's reaction and chickened out at the last moment. Replying in a strained voice, "My courage."

"Good," Gandalf's voice sounded almost like a growl at first then his face transformed into a smile. "Well, that's good. You'll need it. I'll be waiting for you at the overlook before the slopes of Erabor! Keep that map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me." Thorin nodded to him as the gray wizard climbed back onto his steed.

"This is not the Greenwood of old. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion. It'll seek to enter your mind and lead you astray," Gandalf warned.

"Lead us astray?" Bilbo asked. "What does that mean?"

"You must stay on the path," Gandalf continued. "Do not leave it. If you do, you will never find it again." With that, he turned and rode away.

"Come on," Thorin said as he began to lead the rest of the company inside the forest. "We must reach the mountain before the sun sets on Durin's Day."

~*~

Meanwhile, Miranda had become quite comfortable living in the forests of Mirkwood. She had grown close with Tauriel and Prince Legolas. Now Tauriel was in Miranda's room helping her get ready for The Feast of Starlight that took place in the evening.

"What about this one?" Tauriel asked holding up a crimson red dress that was covered in black lace. Miranda made a face.

"We have been at this for hours!" Miranda complained. "These dresses are never ending. Where do you get all of them?"

"Spiders," Tauriel said.

"What?" Miranda asked.

Tauriel laughed. "You should have seen your face!" Miranda pouted and then thought back to the one dress of hers she hadn't worn yet. She ran to her closet and pulled it out.

"What about this one?" Miranda asked her, holding it up.

"Where did you get this?" Tauriel gasped.

"It was a gift for my birthday," Miranda responded. "I haven't worn it yet. Do you think it will work?"

"I think it is perfect!" Tauriel responded with a smile. "And I think it might catch the eye of a certain elf prince," She teased.

Miranda blushed but then her face fell, "You care for him and he cares for you. I have no chance."

Tauriel put her hand on her shoulder, "Do not be so sure." She started to say more when there was a frantic knock at the door. The two of them put their dresses down and opened it.

"My Ladies," The guard at the door said. "The spiders are back."

Tauriel and Miranda wasted no time in collecting their weapons and armor, before long, they were out the door.