vi. friends

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗 ˗
we're not going to be friends.

𝟑𝐑𝐃 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

𝟑𝐑𝐃 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

   "YOU COULD'VE TOLD ME they would be joining us," Dominique grumbled as she walked beside Kathryn, who only offered a sheepish smile before shrugging her shoulders. While Dominique loved the small girl, she did have to resist the temptation to strangle her at times. She never did, but she didn't hide her strong disapproval as they reached the Transfiguration Courtyard, which was only occupied by a small group of first years playing a game of Gobstones on the grass.

   "If I told you, would you have come?" Kathryn's question was valid, but Dominique didn't answer it, simply huffing in barely contained frustration as she took a spot on the grass. The people who they were referring to were a small group of Gryffindor girls Dominique had never bothered to willingly speak to, for she knew they disliked her, and she didn't care for them in any way. Lily Evans, Marlene McKinnon, Alice Fortescue and Mary McDonald. The only possible thing they had in common was Kathryn, but even that wasn't enough for Dominique to bother to form a relationship with the girls. "Exactly. It'd just be nice to hang out with you - my best friend - as well as my other friends, at the same time."

Dominique sighed, deciding to lay on her back underneath the tree and pull out one of the muggle books Kathryn had bought for her over the summer. Little Women, it was called. She hadn't ever opened it but figured it would be a good time to start, considering she doubted she would be participating in any conversation once the other girls arrived. She hadn't even noticed when the girls had joined them, too engrossed in the lives of the March sisters to realise. Or perhaps she had noticed and had just pretended not to. Nobody could tell. The light breeze of the autumn air brushed against her legs, exposed by the pinafore dress she was wearing over her burgundy turtleneck. Dominique always favoured turtlenecks.

It was only when Kathryn tapped her leg that she drew her eyes away from the eighteenth-century novel, peeking her brown eyes over the book before settling it on her chest, open on the page she had been reading. It seemed they had been speaking to her, but she hadn't heard them.

Dominique's eyes fell to Marlene for a few seconds, before she cut away to her gaze to Kathryn. She felt a more particular dislike towards Marlene but couldn't put her finger on why. Or more so, she didn't want to. After all, it was Marlene that Sirius moved on to after he had kissed Dominique and failed to make progress after it, which Dominique still believed was just a ploy to make her jealous. Or maybe he did genuinely like Marlene. Perhaps that's why Dominique felt some mild irritation spike within her, which she settled with a quick dismissal of her thoughts. Why should I care? 

   "What is it?" Dominique asked. The girls - excluding Kathryn - all shared variations of the same expression. Apprehension. For starters, Marlene looked the most disturbed about her presence, which wasn't a surprise. The girl wasn't one to hide her opinion, and while she was unaware of the situation between Dominique and Sirius, the two girls had still gotten into a few altercations in the past that never ended well. And then there was Alice Fortescue, who turned to paying more attention to the loose piece of thread at the hem of her skirt, her brightly coloured nails pulling at it. Lily Evans managed to pull a small smile on her lips, but Dominique understood her discomfort the most. Severus hadn't been the kindest to her - having called Lily a mudblood months ago in their fifth year - and the fact that Dominique associated with the boy caused unease. Mary was the only one who didn't try to make her dislike blatantly obvious.