viii. golpalott's third law

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 ˗
i hardly believe talking about golpalott's third law is flirting.

𝟏𝟓𝐓𝐇 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

DOMINIQUE HAD LOST COUNT of how many people she had hurled insulting phrases and words at in the past week since getting out of the Hospital Wing following her Whomping Willow attack. She would snap unexpectedly at people for looking at her too long or asking her how she got her injuries - if they dared to ask. She had gotten the splint removed from her injured arm by Madam Pomfrey. However, the cut above her eyebrow would leave a scar despite her believing it wouldn't - a small one about an inch long and cut through the end of her eyebrow. She hated it. At least the bruise on her cheekbone was less noticeable.

It was Friday, and so she had Potions with Remus - which she wasn't particularly looking forward to. She had been avoiding everyone other than her brother and Kathryn but knew she wouldn't be able to keep it up for long. She found it was difficult to avoid people she had classes with almost every day of the week.

After an hour of Transfiguration, Dominique made her way to the dungeons classroom, Rosier speaking to her on the way. She wasn't really listening, as usual, and didn't even bother to hide the fact that she wasn't.

    "Are you even listening, Nott?" He asked when he realised she wasn't listening, his eyebrows furrowed.

   "No." Her answer was blunt but truthful, pushing open the doors to the Potions classroom.

   "Did the Whomping Willow hit your head too hard? You've been acting weird-" Dominique grabbed Rosier's jaw, squeezing it so hard that it would leave a bruise if she didn't loosen up her grip. She forcibly brought his face down to her level.

   "I will do much more damage to you than the Whomping Willow ever could if you talk to me like that again, you fucking degenerate." Her voice was quiet but held enough venom to kill. Rosier maintained eye contact with her but it was clear he was uncomfortable, his eyes flickering to the class behind him. Only a few had arrived, mostly Gryffindors, but that didn't make his embarrassment any less impactful on the boy with an inflated ego. 

   "My apologies, Dominique," Rosier grumbled, his jaw clenched. Even he knew that fighting with the girl wouldn't end well for him. Dominique sobered up from her anger, letting go of him and wrapping her fingers around the straps of her backpack, making her way over to her desk and dropping the bag carelessly on the ground beside it.

Remus was already seated, and so were the rest of his friends. She figured they had seen the whole ordeal but wasn't sure if they had heard what she said. She didn't care if they had. Pulling out her potions book, she placed it on the table, not noticing how Remus kept glancing over at her. He eventually spoke.

   "You alright?" His voice was quiet and hesitant, as if unsure whether or not he should speak to her. He had been informed that she knew about his condition and wondered if she had been avoiding him because of that. That wasn't exactly true, but he didn't know that.

   "I'm fine," Dominique answered with a small shrug, tucking her hair behind her ear. No, she actually wanted to say. My morals are changing, and I don't know how to cope with it, and everything seems to be getting on my fucking nerves. She looked over at Remus, who tried to look away as if he hadn't been staring at her but gave up, knowing he had been caught. "What about you?"

   "I'm fine, too," Remus replied, his long fingers fiddling with his quill. He looked better than he had the previous week, but still looked exhausted. Dominique decided to drop her cold  and closed-off exterior for a moment, sighing as she folded her arms on the table.