PROLOGUE

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

P R O L O G U E

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

Southampton, May 1878

The way Nate Gray had written about Southampton had made the place seem as if it were the most pleasant and welcoming dock of all of England. One couldn't help but wonder if he had been describing another place since it seemed to be the exact opposite—drearily gray, black smoke darkening the sky, rain falling down around them, and crowds of people in dark clothing holding umbrellas.

The only source of light seemed to come from a young girl who was happily walking through as many puddles as she could, her blonde locks bouncing just above her shoulders while she hummed a soft tune. Her eyes were concentrating on the ground, extremely dark blue that could be described as lavender searching for the puddles amongst the grey rocks.

Beside her stood her sister, a girl with brown hair the color of chocolate pulled back into a bun and grey-blue eyes so mesmerizing one could easily get lost in them if they allowed themselves to.

Tessa Gray shivered as she strained to look for her brother amongst the crowd. However, the mist and spray from the ship were too thick for her to decipher anything and the girl let out a soft sigh before glancing towards her sister.

"Elise," she softly said, lavender eyes instantly flickering in her direction as the humming came to a halt. "Try not to get yourself too wet. The ride is sure to be long and you know how you get about having to sit in wet clothes for too long."

"Sorry, Tessa," the blonde said, sending a smile in her sister's direction. "I can't help it. I'm just excited is all."

Tessa was unsure how her sister could be so excited after docking in a place like this, but then again it shouldn't be a surprise.

Elise Renee Gray was one of a kind after all. A strong-willed fourteen year old who still held onto her child-like wonder in some situations despite being one of the most practical people anyone would get the chance to meet.

Instead of reading books full of magic and fairytales, Elise liked to surround herself with more realistic books. She often laughed at the mere suggestion of believing in things as silly as wizards and faeries, dragons and magic. Instead favoring books like Pride and Prejudice which had been her favorite book for as long as she could remember.

When she wasn't immersed in books, she often busied herself with some sort of art. Elise had grown up with a knack for drawing and painting, her creativity unlike any other despite her strict belief in one being able to know what was real and what was not.