TWELVE

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

B L O O D A N D W A T E R

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

Despite knowing better, Elise found herself quite enjoying the ride back to the Institute with Jem and Will. It was the only solace before the storm she knew that was waiting her once they got back, so she almost felt a twinge of disappointment once the gates of the Institute rose up on the horizon.

The blonde fell quiet at the sight and neither Will nor Jem commented on it as they pulled up behind the carriage that Charlotte, Henry, Tessa, and Nathaniel had taken. Sophie and Agatha were waiting at the open doors with lanterns and Elise caught sight of her sister stumbling out of the carriage, Sophie already at her side to help her up the steps. Jessamine, not to Elise's surprise, was nowhere to be seen.

It was Charlotte and Henry that drew Elise's attention, the blonde instantly latching onto her unconscious brother who they were carrying towards the doors.

She had hopped out of the carriage before it even came to a complete stop, Jem calling out in slight concern while Will scoffed and muttered something about her never listening, but she didn't care. All Elise could think of was her brother.

The blonde was to Charlotte and Henry before any of them could even blink, Elise quickly grabbing ahold of her brother's hand as a wave of guilt washed over her. She couldn't believe she had left him like that, had allowed Tessa to go off with him after all she had wanted was to find her brother. She shouldn't have done that to him. She should've stayed by his side and she made a silent promise as she helped Charlotte and Henry carry him to an empty bedroom that she would never be separated from him again.

The bedroom they installed Nathaniel in was much like Elise and Tessa's – the same dark heavy wood furniture, the same grand bed and wardrobe. The blonde reluctantly let go of her brother to allow Charlotte and Agatha to settle him into the bed and instead turned to Tessa who had silently sunk into the chair beside it, half-feverish with worry and exhaustion.

Tessa's eyes flickered up to lock with Elise's, both girls letting out shaky breaths before the blonde threw herself at her sister and held onto her tight.

He was okay. Nathaniel was okay.

The two barely paid attention to anyone else in the room, merely gripping onto each other in the silence of the room before Elise was able to pull herself away and fall to her knees by Nathaniel's side. She took hold of his hand, her hands enveloping his and holding it close to her chest as she watched the boy with tears in her eyes.