EIGHT

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

C A M I L L E

❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀ ~ ○ ❀

Elise and Tessa were only halfway down the corridor when they caught up to them—Will and Jem, walking on either side of them so that the sisters were surrounded. Unfortunately for Elise, Will was the one standing by her side. "You didn't really think we weren't going to come along, did you?" Will asked, raising his hand and letting the witchlight flare up between his fingers, lighting the corridor to daylight brightness. Charlotte, hurrying along ahead of them, turned and frowned, but said nothing.

"I know you enjoy being annoying so not much surprise there," Elise muttered sarcastically as she gave the boy a thin lipped smile. Will glared down at her.

"I know you can't leave anything well enough alone," Tessa replied, looking straight ahead. "But I thought better of Jem."

"Where Will goes, I go," Jem said good-naturedly. "And besides, I'm as curious as he is."

"That hardly seems a subject for boasting," Tessa fired back.

"Where are we going?" Elise asked, startled, as they reached the end of the corridor and turned left. The next hall stretched away behind them into unprepossessing shadow. "I know I may have been a bit turned around before, but I'm not familiar with this area of the Institute. Have we turned the wrong way?"

"Patience is a virtue, Miss Gray," said Will in a sing song voice before patting the girl's head like one would an animal. "I know you are still trying to learn that, so do not despair."

The look Elise sent him was enough to have the boy pulling away his hand quickly, although he tried to hide his fright with the smug grin of his he always wore when teasing the girl. "Best keep your hands off of me, Mr. Herondale. Unless you want to lose your fingers."

"I have always wondered what it would be like to have nubs for hands."

"Okay," Jem said as he quickly pulled Will away and over to where he was previously standing so that he was now by Elise's side and could place a hand upon Elise's shoulder to hold her back before she could lunge at the dark haired boy. "That's enough, Will."

Will's eyes widened, "But–"

"That's enough," Jem repeated and Tessa didn't even miss a beat as she added, "You too, Elise."

The blonde sent her sister a surprised look before both her and Will pouted and continued their trek down the hallway while Tessa and Jem shook their heads at the two. It was silent after that and Will and Elise snuck glances at each other before both sticking their tongue out at the other behind Tessa's back.