Chapter 13

Alex slumped unto the large grey couch, holding his head down. His sweat-soaked wifebeater felt cold and sticky. He had pushed his body too hard again trying to get his mind off everything.

Today had been very hectic, scratch that, the entire month has been very hectic, both physically and emotionally. He needed an outlet for all his pent up frustrations and anger, hence the grueling workout session. His stomach grumbled in protest to its lack of food, reminding him he had skipped lunch entirely.

Heading straight to the shower, he muttered a tune as he washed off the sweat and the grime from his gruesome workout. The shower relieved most of his stress and on his way out of the bathroom, something caught his eye.

Anna's toothbrush

He thought he had disposed it, but clearly, he hadn't. Tossing the baby blue toothbrush into the bin, he left the bathroom. Dressed in a simple t-shirt and sweatpants, he contemplated what he could have for dinner.

His fridge was fully stocked, the problem was that he didn't know how or what to cook. His housekeeper had previously done all the cooking but he had given her the week off because he had known how stressful his week would be, and he didn't want to snap at the old lady.

Now, he was regretting it because there was only so much takeout one could consume before getting tired. Especially for someone like himself who valued home-cooked meals. It was times like this he missed his Anna the most. My Anna, he though as sadness engulfed him.

Alex had no one to blame for losing Anna but himself, maybe if he had been frank with her from the start or at least, forthcoming with answers when she had found out- his doorbell rang, cutting through his line of thoughts. A quick glance at his phone showed it was barely past seven, it wasn't too late to have visitors, Alex just wasn't expecting anybody.

He wasn't surprised to see it was his friend Brad and his young wife Dana. After they exchanged greetings, he led them into the spacious living room, for the first time noticing the crate the Brad had brought in.

He cocked his head to the side, staring at the dog crate intensely. "What's that for?"

Brad looked up with barely concealed laughter, "ask Dana."

"I thought it would be a good idea to surprise you with an early Christmas present," Dana replied, rubbing her large belly.

His eyes flickered briefly to her stomach, "even if it was Christmas which it is not, who said I needed a dog." Training a puppy was not something he looked forward to, besides he had enough problems on his plate.

Dana smiled, "I know how tough the last few weeks have been for you, with the court case and Craig's verdict."

Alex winced at the reminder, "but what does all that have to do with it." He said pointing at the crate.

"You mean she." Brad snickered as he let the two-month-old golden retriever out of the crate.

The puppy happy to be released began sniffing her surrounding. "Dana I appreciate the thought and all but I don't think I have the time and dedication it- I mean she needs." A new puppy means change, which he certainly did not need, no matter how cute the puppy was.

Brad noticing the apprehension showing on his face gave him a comforting pat on his shoulder, "I tried to talk her out of it man, but you know how insistent she can be." Even with the decade age gap between Brad and Dana, they still loved and treated each other like equals, something Alex truly admired.

Ignoring both men, the heavily pregnant Dana made her way to the kitchen to prepare dinner, giving the pale pink vase an odd glance.

He settled down on the couch and hesitantly lowered his hand to the small canine, almost as if he was afraid of it. He wasn't.