EIGHT

L O R E N Z O

I'd always enjoyed working on the balcony, and if it weren't for Andrea taking over my favorite place, I would have continued finishing my work at night here. She hadn't just taken over my life, she was inhabiting every corner, and I didn't want to feel her subtly caressing my skin when she was nowhere near me. It was insane, trying to outrun the lingering ghost of her. However, with Alessandro living with us, I didn't have much choice; after all, it wouldn't make sense if I spent hours every night examining the weapon shipments that hadn't even come yet.

Having nothing else to do, I closed the lid of my laptop, got up, and walked inside the room, closing the glass doors behind me. I got rid of my shoes and walked barefoot towards my bedside table, placing the laptop on it before walking out to get some water. I'd only managed to pour some for myself when Alessandro walked out of his room. Seeing me, he took a seat across the counter and placed his face in his palm.

"What are you doing up?"

I raised the glass of water in my hand, "Why are you up?"

He shrugged, "Can't sleep," I arched my brow, "I think you should tell Dad about Carlo,"

I nodded, "I'm going to tomorrow before dinner."

"Ma won't like that. You know she hates when we bring work to the dinner table."

"We won't be bringing it to the table," I smirked, taking a sip of water and watching Alessandro shake his head over the rim of the glass.

"He won't like that you kept it from him."

"He also wouldn't like if I took Knight by his word and didn't confirm it on my own." Alessandro rubbed the back of his neck thoughtfully before facing me again as I leaned against the counter, my feet crossed at the ankles.

"Will you draw him out?"

"I don't plan on using Andrea or my children as bait, so I don't see how I can draw him out." Before I could say anything, a scream broke through the silence in the living space. I straightened, my eyes meeting Alessandro's, his reflecting the same apprehensions I felt in the marrow of my bones, and without saying a word, we both ran towards my room.

I rushed inside the room, exhaling in relief when I saw Andrea was alone; however, to my consternation, she was sitting in the middle of the bed, her sheets drawn up to her knees, her head buried between her knees, and her arms wrapped around her legs. I looked at Alessandro, and he nodded before leaving the room, closing the door behind him.

"Andrea?" I approached her slower than I would have liked to avoid startling her more than her nightmare already had. The bed dipped beneath my weight as I sat down on the edge and touched her shoulder, pulling my hand back when she flinched away from my touch. "Hey, it's me."

Her unfocused, frantic gaze zeroed in on my face, and I leaned back to turn the lamp on, flooding the room in a soft golden glow. It wasn't difficult to make out the sheer terror on her face, or the tears streaking her face, and her heavy breathing.

"What happened?" I pressed my lips together, waiting for an answer, but when she remained silent for a few minutes, I reached out and touched her arm, "Andrea."

She shook her head, her eyes finally focusing on me, "It's you," she breathed out before closing her eyes and wiping her face with her hands.

"Who else would it be?" She snapped her eyes open at my words and stared at me with wide eyes, so I took my chances and asked again, "What happened?"

She shook her head, "Isn't it obvious?" I arched my brow, unimpressed with her response. "Fine, I had a nightmare. I'm sure everyone has them." She finished sighing.