CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

L O R E N Z O

Dusk had never appeared quite as threatening as it did tonight. Something in the air screamed of bruised hymns, and I was certain making the day without a single funeral was unlikely. I was only hoping the people I'd wanted to protect would remain safe; if not, then this elaborate ruse I'd conjured to trap Orlov and Murphy would be a disaster I didn't want to consider if it all went to shit.

"Renzo!" Luca nudged my shoulder, and I blinked with a start, turning to him.

"I didn't realize you were saying?"

His brows furrowed, but he chose not to comment on my moment of weakness, "We're here."

It was only then that I noticed we were at the docks, and the Sun was only minutes away from setting. I needed to get my head on straight. Any mistake tonight could result in carnage, and I wasn't about to lose control of a game of my own making.

"They'll reach the safehouses just fine, Renzo. And you'll be the first to hear when they do." Luca patted my shoulder, "But right now, you need to be on your A game."

"Yeah." I exhaled, "Give me a minute."

Luca nodded and left the car, leaving me alone inside the vehicle. I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the back of the seat, breathing out. My thoughts were spiraling, everything seemed to be fading away, and I was trying to hold on to a forlorn sense of reality that had started appearing like a mirage in itself. Focusing on my breathing for a minute, I centered my thoughts and forced myself to focus on the issue at hand. Killing Grigory Orlov.

I opened my eyes and left the car, unsurprised to find Luca and Alessio standing right in front of the door.

"Are the men ready?" They nodded, "And Firori?"

"He's been seen meeting with Orlov." Alessio gritted his teeth, "he would've told Orlov the entire plan by now."

"What he thinks he knows of the plan." Luca corrected him. "But we must still be careful. It's hard to tell how many men Firori has gotten to."

I nodded before checking my wristwatch for the time, "What time will the boat be here?"

"It shouldn't be long now," he answered just as we began walking towards the containers.

I turned my neck to take a note of our snipers before facing straight ahead as we walked away from the safety net provided by the car to the little shelter offered by the containers. If Firori had ratted off what he knew to Orlov, the Russians wouldn't be far behind. They would be here for the drugs any minute, and one thing I knew about them was that they were not quiet.

Alessio, Luca, and I stood in silence, and soon enough, we could make out the ship across the darkened horizon, and as if that was the signal they were waiting for, the earpiece in my ear buzzed with static before Stefano's voice came through.

"They're here." And then his voice got cut as there was a loud bang in the distance.

I hissed under my breath before removing my gun from the holster, eyeing Alessio and Luca. They nodded as we took our positions behind the containers, waiting for the Russians to reach the end of the docks through the maze of containers. Luca typed away on his phone before pocketing it and removing the safety of his gun.