CHAPTER TWELVE

A N D R E A 

True to his word Lorenzo had let me accompany him to the gym every morning for the last week, however, I didn't think he was teaching me anything worthwhile. For most of last week, I'd been doing cardio, while he would finish his morning workout. Though I had to admit, watching him, especially the way his taught muscles would strain with the routine, sweat dripping off him, was a sight for sore eyes. There wasn't much else we were doing lately, I would watch him workout while rushing through my routine, and then we go back to the penthouse, and have breakfast with the twins, until finally, he would leave, only coming back late at night.

I was getting angsty to do more, but after what had happened, I hadn't wanted to poke the bear, but as it seemed, I would eventually have to be the one to potentially ruin this twisted truce between us.

Lorenzo's eyes met mine through the mirror as he was doing a pullup, and the fact that I'd been staring openly at him was quite evident. My cheeks heated when he arched his brow, and I blurted the first thing that came to my mind.

"I didn't mean this when I said I wanted you to train me."

Lorenzo grunted before doing two pull-ups and letting his feet touch the ground. He reached for his towel, wiped his face, and all this time my eyes had zeroed in on his ripped stomach, and the way it glistened with sweat. I suddenly found myself parched and ran my tongue over my lips just as Lorenzo threw the towel on his gym bag, his silky strands matted on his face.

"And what did you mean?"

"I meant self-defense or something like that,"

Lorenzo tsked, "Something like that?"

I nodded, swallowing as he took one menacing step towards me, "How do you suppose you'll be good at combat with a shit stamina?"

My eyes narrowed, "I don't."

Lorenzo threw his head back, laughing, his shoulders shaking with the force of his laughter. It was the first time I'd seen him laugh, so freely, and playfully, and that too because of me. Despite my annoyance with what he'd said, I found my lips stretching into a smile, but hell, the unrestrained joy on his face was addicting. Lorenzo straightened, coughing to stop his laughing fit before meeting my gaze again, "Do you see yourself after climbing one flight of stairs?"

"That's irrelevant,"

Lorenzo shook his head before composing himself, and reaching for his water bottle, "You can't fight anyone if you get tired after barely moving your limbs, so yes, you'll be doing cardio for a bit, and then we can talk about fighting." He finished saying just as he uncapped the bottle, and brought it to his lips.

"It's not fair, you know."

"On the contrary, it is perfectly reasonable, Andrea." He put the bottle back in his bag, followed by his towel, and zipped it up, "Now if you're done, should we go?"

Exhaling, I started walking towards the elevator with Lorenzo behind me, his fingers tapping away on his phone's screen, back into his little bubble once again, making me wonder if I'd ever be welcomed into it.

*

Alessandro had to go out today, and Lorenzo was still screening babysitters for Riccardo and Tori, so that left me alone with them for the night. Milan was probably somewhere in the penthouse, but he usually kept his distance, and I could understand his distrust. He probably thought I would make a run for it, given half the chance. I'd taken Riccardo and Tori to their room, sitting on their playing mat with them, their toys surrounding us. Lately, their babbles were sounding more like words, but so far neither of them had said their first words, and Tori was already imitating Lorenzo's texting by tapping on one of her toys. Since then he'd made a point of avoiding using his phone altogether in front of the twins, but as of right now, Tori was trying to rip the ears of her teddy bear before getting frustrated and throwing it away,