Chapter One

The table at the rightmost corner in the cafeteria is our place. It's been our spot since we started junior high, where every second of our breaks was spent in endless laughter, lively chatter, and getting caught up with the latest gossip. And today is no exception.

Kate drops the latest issue of Jellybean on the table, throwing it open to a full two-page spread on three teenage boys. They look familiar, but I can't wrap my head around who they are, and what they're called. I really should have known that my friends are going to make a big fuss out of them. They always make a big fuss over things like this.

"Next month. Trinity is going to have their first major concert at the Big Dome next month," Kate announces, pointing at the magazine pages. "We have to go."

"Oh my gosh, seriously?" Setting her plate of carrot sticks aside, Sarah makes a grab for the magazine and drags it to her side of the table. As discreetly as I can, I peer at the pages myself, trying to figure out just who these Trinity boys are before my friends notice that I'm not following their conversation. Not at all.

It's only when Michelle starts singing a few lines of what is apparently Trinity's latest hit that I finally recognize them. They're this newly-formed boy band that debuted on the local music scene a couple of months ago. The three boys, with their good looks and shared passion for music, easily rose to fame. It has become nearly impossible to turn on the radio without hearing their songs, so even someone like me, who is not really into music, has come to know their overly enthusiastic but strangely catchy pop-rock sound. They're also everywhere on television. If I'm not mistaken, their frontman is...

"Matt Navales is a dream. You girls know I have a thing for guitarists. We should definitely go," I say, even though the thought of watching a concert with hundreds of people seems really bothersome. I'd rather watch a recording in the comforts of my home any day, but I can't exactly admit to that. I'm the Alexa Zamora, after all.

Sarah squeals at my words. Looks like I said the right thing. "Matt's so awesome, isn't he, Alexa? And his voice is just something!"

"Yeah, but I still think Rick Acosta's hotter," insists Kate. "He sings and plays the bass like a pro. He's got great moves too, unlike a certain front man."

As Sarah and Kate continue their usual bickering about who's hotter than who, Michelle grabs my hand, saying that I need to accompany her to the restroom. I let myself be dragged along, knowing that Michelle won't stop pestering me until I agreed anyway. As we start down the main aisle of the cafeteria, walking in plain sight, I prepare myself for the inevitable barrage of questions and requests that is sure to come.

"There you are, Alexa! I seriously need your opinion on these bracelets."

"They're gorgeous. A little too flashy for my taste, but I think they look good on you!"

"Alexa! We're going karaoke tonight. You have to come with us!"

"Aww, I'm sorry, but I can't. Have somewhere I need to be..."

"Girl, have you heard the new Trinity song?! It's seriously good."

"Of course! Matt's voice is to die for!"

I'll probably never get used to this. It's something I'm thankful for every day, to be surrounded by friends, to be liked, to not be alone. Junior high is my new beginning, after all, but the past four years of just trying to get to this point have not been easy. I've worked really hard—and I still have to. I'm doing everything that I can to keep things like this. Exactly like this.

"You're really something, A," says Michelle, as we finally manage to get to the restroom. "As expected of our It Girl."

"You know, I still don't know what 'It' is, this 'It' you all insist on saying that I have."