Chapter Five

Tito Tim is late.

Thirty minutes have passed since our scheduled meet-up, but there's still no sign of my Guro. This is so unlike him that I'm beginning to think that I should worry. Nonetheless, I continue with my individual practice drills, twirling my rattan sticks overhead and down, repeating the steps with increasing speed.

It's been a week since Theo and I met up at the old arts room, and he's been true to his word. We appear no more than mere classmates. Nothing's changed for Alexa Zamora. Her friends still adore her. Her classmates still adore her. Everyone still adores her. There's not so much as a single word of her brutish past. Neither does she pay much attention to the transfer student who has fit in surprisingly well with the HC.

Not that the guy has ever left her—I mean, my—thoughts.

Theo's not one to talk a lot, except maybe to people he actually cares about, but it's never been because he dislikes conversation. Others think of him as taciturn, when in fact, he's actually just more of a listener. And he can be a really great one, if people actually try to get to know him. But his penchant for basking in the silence gives others a whole different impression of him, making him appear snobbish.

He's always shied away from the spotlight, but Theo's athleticism makes him shine whether he likes it or not. He does so well in Physical Education that it's hard for anyone not to notice him. Years of training have given him the strength, endurance, and agility to be good at practically any physical activity. Our P.E. teacher has been raving non-stop over his fantastic performance in class. We're in the middle of our track-and-field module, and Theo easily outran the rest of the boys in the 100-meter race. He also bested even our varsity track team captain in hurdles, earning him an open spot on the team should he want it. But even though he has already impressed them all, Theo has yet to showcase what he can really do. We don't have an arnis module or club, so the best everyone can do regarding Theo's true talents is to speculate.

But while the rest of New Hope seems to have taken on a newfound interest in arnis since Theo arrived, I'm more than happy to be without an arnis module. I already find it a challenge to act like I'm having a difficult time in P.E., like my friends. I even have to go as far as letting guys like Kirk 'teach' me how jumping over hurdles is done, as well as throw all my races. Theo knows it's all an act, of course, but he keeps our agreement and never calls me on my bluff.

I would have wanted to use our lunch times as a break from him too, but Theo somehow always pops up in our conversations. Michelle actually praised him one time about besting all the other boys in sprints, only to be instantly shot down by Kate, who was upset Theo beat the record previously held by her now (surprise, surprise) on-again boyfriend, Derek. Sarah would often comment about how a shame it is that Theo is so weird despite his looks and talent. Still, even when we're not talking about him, Theo remains on my mind, a constant and insistent resident of my thoughts, as if making up for all the years we've spent apart.

In fact, I think I may be thinking of Theo a little too much already, since I'm starting to see him everywhere—even here in our training studio at home. There he is, entering with Tito Tim, who finally decided to show. Theo, with those eyes of his, dressed in his black training clothes, carrying his own pair of rattan sticks. Just like the old times.

"Nice form, Alexa." And I'm even hearing him now. Great.

Wait. What?

I drop my rattan sticks in surprise and blurt out, "What are you doing here?!"

"I honestly thought you weren't doing arnis anymore." Purposely ignoring my question, he gives me a small, innocent smile and moves to stand at my left. "Glad to see that you haven't lost your touch."