Chapter Three

"Guess what?"

The weekend comes and goes, and soon, it's another Monday morning, and we're settling into our seats right after the morning assembly. But since our homeroom adviser Mr. Alcantara always comes in a reliable fifteen minutes late, our class makes good use of the additional time to do whatever we want. I usually gossip with Michelle, who sits beside me, or cram an assignment I didn't get to finish last night.

"You got our Trinity tickets?" I ask, without looking up from the English assignment that we're supposed to pass later during third period.

"First of all, they don't go on sale until this Saturday. But I will definitely get us the best freakin' tickets there are, A. I swear I will." Michelle scoots her seat closer to mine. "But speaking of pretty boys, we're getting one in our class today."

"What?" I drop my pen and turn my full attention to Michelle. "What do you even mean by that, Michelle?" We're getting a pretty boy in class?

"I mean we're getting a new classmate today. A transfer student," Michelle says excitedly. "I saw him talking with Principal Peralta outside her office right before the morning assembly. And, wow, Alexa. He's hot."

"How do you even know the guy's going to be in our class?"

"I listened in on their conversation, duh." Michelle rolls her eyes at me. "Principal Peralta was telling him to wait for his new homeroom adviser, Mr. Alcantara. Also known as our homeroom adviser. Meaning, the new guy's definitely going to be in our class."

Well, that's interesting. I didn't know that New Hope Academy admitted transfer students for Grade 10. He must be someone special, some smart kid or athlete, an addition to a varsity team, or maybe his parents are big shots who pulled some strings with the school admin. Either way, something must have happened to this guy. I don't know why else he'd arrive a month late in the school year. He'll have a lot of catching up to do.

As Michelle continues to gush about this hot transfer guy, who she reluctantly admits that she didn't even see quite well before Principal Peralta walked off with him towards who-knows-where, I pick up my pen and return to my hopeless excuse for an essay. I am still in the middle of trying to describe my idea of a perfect birthday celebration when Mr. Alcantara finally enters the room.

"Good morning, class!" our homeroom adviser greets us with an enthusiastic smile. I gracefully rise from my seat and greet him back along with my other classmates before settling down once again. Mr. Alcantara always wears a smile on his face, but he looks somewhat happier today, clearly in a good mood.

"I have great news. A new student will be joining our class today," Mr. Alcantara announces, placing his lesson plans on top of his desk. This news sets our classroom abuzz. I exchange looks with Michelle. Wearing a smug grin, she winks at me and whispers, "Here he comes!"

After futilely trying to get everyone to settle down, Mr. Alcantara turns towards the door and gestures for whoever is outside to come in.

He's tall, probably just a couple of inches short of six feet. His lean physique and incredible posture give him an aura of discipline and strength that makes him seem even taller. On him, the simple New Hope Academy boys' uniform of white polo shirt and black slacks looks dignified. His dark hair is worn in a crew cut, the top of which is kept a bit long. With a large black backpack hanging from his right shoulder, he walks haltingly towards the front of the room, as if forcing every step he's making, as if he wants to be anywhere else but here. His face betrays no hint of emotion, but his eyes move swiftly over and around the room, taking it all in—as he always did.