chapter one

chapter one
DAY ONE

               “AUTHORITIES SAY that it is unclear what drug the man was on at this time, but they will keep the city updated as they learn more

               “AUTHORITIES SAY that it is unclear what drug the man was on at this time, but they will keep the city updated as they learn more." 

Derrick Davis furrowed his thick eyebrows as he stood in the break room, stirring and sipping his lightly creamed coffee, seeing the woman on the television announce into her microphone as the police lights flashed behind her and the caution tape moved with the slight breeze. "What happened?" he pointed at the television, asking his coworker whom sat in one of the chairs in the center of the room.

The man shrugged his shoulders, explaining, "Some junkie attacked a woman when she was getting in her car. People are saying they saw him eating her."

"Oh, come on, man," Derrick winced at the thought, "that's just sick."

"It's just what they're saying." His coworker turned back around in his chair, looking down into his lap where his phone laid. 

Derrick took another sip of the warm brew in his hand, wondering why in the hell the news would be saying such bullshit about cannibalism right here in the city. Oh, how the media gets more and more far-fetched each day.

A vibration began ringing in his pocket, and his phone lit up through his gray suit pants. As he pulled it out, he read that it was his children's highschool. Letting out a huff of air, the man answered, "Hello?"

"Good morning, Mr. Davis. It's Mrs. Schaeffer."

Derrick groaned, questioning, "What'd she do today?"

"Punched another student in the face," Mrs. Schaeffer replied.

"Was it Summer Hayes again?"

"No, Jordan Rich." She paused for a moment before adding in, "She broke his nose."

Derrick sighed, setting his coffee mug down onto the countertop that was placed on one side of the room, "I'll be down there in a little bit."

"Alright, see you soon." The two then hung up, Derrick peering at the time as he did so. 10:46 am. Shit.

He huffed to himself, as he marched out of the break room, towards the elevator. As it moved upwards, he tapped his foot to the music playing, while sending a quick text to his wife, "Ali's grounded again."