chapter three

chapter three
DAY ONE

               TIRES SCREECHED across the pavement as Emmett stomped down onto the brake

               TIRES SCREECHED across the pavement as Emmett stomped down onto the brake. His seatbelt was already off and door had been opened before the car even came to a complete stop. He ran up the porch steps, knocking on the front door to the nice sized house, not taking any time to ring the doorbell, as well.

Over and over again, he would knock and ring the bell. He wouldn't stop. Not until she answered.

He peered through the glass, watching as she made her way towards the front door. He could see she was in an emerald satin blouse and high waisted black tailored pants with black heels. Her dark ebony hair was twisted up into two buns on the top of her head. "I'm coming!" she called out a moment before she reached for the doorknob and pulled the door open. Laying her chocolate eyes on the man, the woman questioned, "What do you want?"

"We have to talk," he sounded frantic.

The woman shook her head, her small golden hoop earrings dangling, "Uh-uh, there is nothing to say."

She went to push the door shut, but Emmett held his hand up, stopping it from moving, "Baby, listen to me."

"Don't do that," she shook her head once more, eyes glistening as they began to fill with tears. "You left me. Remember that? So you don't get to come over here, acting like this."

"People are dying, Keisha," Emmett interjected.

Keisha lowered her eyebrows, "What?"

He shook his head, explaining, but keeping his voice low for only the woman to hear, "It's not right. Something is going on, so we have to leave."

She crossed her arms over her chest, "You expect me to just up and leave my career? For what, exactly? 'Cuz you still have yet to clarify that."

He out his hand to his forehead, rubbing his hand upward through his dark hair. Emmett huffed, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you, which is why you just gotta trust me."

Keisha scoffed, shaking her head, with a smirk upon her pink balmed lips, "Get out of my way, Em. I have to get to work."

Emmett shook his head, reaching out to grasp ahold of her wrist, keeping her from walking away. Her eyes darted upward at him, instant daggers at him. "K, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't important. I know you wouldn't want me here otherwise, and I get that. Right now, though, I need you to trust me."