chapter four

chapter four
DAY ONE

               LOUD VIBRATIONS buzzing on the wooden tabletop of the nightstand beside the bed caused Lia Anderson to slowly open her emerald eyes

LOUD VIBRATIONS buzzing on the wooden tabletop of the nightstand beside the bed caused Lia Anderson to slowly open her emerald eyes. She squinted at the sunbeams shining through the open window curtains. Lazily the girl sat up, turning to the side to pick up her cellphone. With the word, "Mom" across the screen, she took in a deep breath before answering, "Hello?"

"Lia? It's Mom," the woman's voice on the other line stated.

"Oh, uh, hey," Lia groggily greeted, rubbing her right eye with her fist.

Her mother then questioned, "Are you still in bed?"

"What? No," she scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"Well, you sound like you just woke up," the woman pointed out.

"Mom!" Lia grumbled, "What do you want?"

"Derrick wants everyone at the house," her mother replied.

Lia lowered her dark eyebrows, "Why?"

"I don't know, something to do with Emmett, he'll explain later, just wants everyone home," she explained.

"Well, I am home, so," Lia shrugged her shoulders, although she knew her mother couldn't see her.

"Lia Rachelle! You stop talking like that right now!" This was why Lia despised talking to her mother; they would always get into these petty arguments, but then again, Lia got into these confrontations with all of her family members. This is why she chose to move as far away she would be able to go, which a shitty job at a clothing store and a one bedroom apartment in a neighboring city was as far as she had gotten. Not far enough, it seemed. It remained silent between the two for a moment, Lia biting her tongue to not smart off again. She didn't even know why she did it - speaking to her family, it always just slipped out. Quinn was the first ne to break the silence, which didn't surprise either women, "Bash is here."

"He is?" This surprised Lia; her barely older brother, Sebastian, spent just as much time away from the family as she did, unless he was on one of his "Mommy I messed up and need your help and money" kicks.

"Yep! And Jo's on her way home." This is what her mother would always do: find ways to pull her back in. Lia hadn't seen much of her family since she had moved out; she would see Josephine every now and then for a lunch date because Lia refused to get up early enough for breakfast, she would see Bash whenever he was around and needed a couch to sleep on, she'd pick up Ali from parties when she would drink too much and lied to their mom and Derrick about where she was going, and then there were Elaine and Zola whom Lia would pick up from school and take out to eat whenever she had some money saved up. As far as she was concerned, though, she didn't have to connect with her stepfather and his kids, and her mother, well, she didn't see her unless she was dropping her sisters off, but she would only stay long enough for them to talk about the usual: work and for Lia to act happy.