Chapter 4 - One out of Two

[Harley]

I woke up this morning and all I could think about was the fact that we might found out where Ella was. I called home, checking on Sadie and Noah, only to find out that Sadie had woken up the night before, screaming for us and it killed me knowing I wasn't there.

After getting ready for the day, Nick and I headed to the hospital, where we were told to wait. And we waited.

And waited.

I was honestly getting too anxious. I had drank three cups of coffee and I don't even like coffee. That's how I knew I was too anxious.

"Mr. and Mrs. Carter," we heard, looking over to see Mr. Halliwell standing there. "You can come on back," he said as I looked at Nick and we stood up. Nick took my hand as we walked through the double doors and followed Mr. Halliwell to his office. "Sorry to keep you waiting."

"What did you find out?" I asked as Nick and I sat down, watching Mr. Halliwell sit down. "Did you get them? Did our blood match?"

"One of the girls lives not far from here with her family and even though they are her natural parents, they came down to do a test and she's not your daughter," Mr. Halliwell said as I sighed, feeling Nick reach over to squeeze my hand.

"Was that the positive or negative?" Nick asked.

"She was the O negative girl," Mr. Halliwell said. "We tried contacting the parents of the O positive girl, but couldn't get in touch with them."

"Because they're out of town?" I asked. "Is there a next of kin?"

"No, their information is kind of shady," Mr. Halliwell said. "They gave a Roswell address and contact information, but according to other records, they lived in Stone Mountain."

"So that's probably her," I said as he shrugged.

"We contacted the authorities there, even had some agents go there and their old address had been condemned," Mr. Halliwell said. "It turns out, both parents are in jail."

"Jail?" Nick and I asked at the same time.

"Yes, in Virginia," he said. "We are trying to track down where the child is."

"They don't know?" Nick asked as he stood up. "It's her, isn't it?"

"Mr. Carter..."

"It's all too shady, like you said," Nick said as I stood up, taking his arm and wrapping my arm around his.

"We don't know for certain," Mr. Halliwell said. "But according other records we could find, they had no other children and the mother had suffered a miscarriage two years prior to the child's birth."

"Give us the location," Nick said as the man stared at him. "Seriously, give us the location. Tell the local authorities we're coming up there because they're going to find that kid and see if she's ours. I mean, if both parents are in jail..."

"She must be in foster care," I whispered as Nick looked at me.

"Richmond, Virginia," Mr. Halliwell said, writing something down. "The local authorities already know about what's going on. I'll call them and let them know that you're on your way. Maybe you can get something out of them because they won't release any information to us."

"What makes you think they'll release anything to us?" I asked as he handed Nick a piece of paper.

"They could do a test to prove blood relationship, especially if the child is in foster care and like I said, they know about what happened here," Mr. Halliwell said as Nick took my hand, leading me out of the office. "Please call and keep me updated."

Nick looked back at him as we walked out of the office and I watched Nick as he immediately took his cell phone out, calling a number.

"I need to book two tickets to Richmond, Virginia..." he said as we headed out of the airport. "Tomorrow? No, we need to go today. I'll hire a private jet. I don't care. I need to get there today."

I listened to Nick on the phone as we headed toward our rental car and I called home, hearing the phone ring.

"Harley? Did you find out anything?" I heard my father ask, answering the phone.

"One of them isn't her and the other, we don't know. She's in Richmond so we're on our way because her parents are in jail and we think she might be in foster care," I said, hearing my father grunt. "How's Sadie and Noah?"

"Good, Noah's much better and Sadie went to the grocery store with Nadine and Daisy," he said. "You two headed there now?"

"Yeah, we have to find out, I mean, otherwise, we don't know where to look," I said as Nick motioned for me to get off the phone. "I'll call you later, okay? Tell the kids I love them," I said, hanging up the phone. "What?"

"Had to rent a private jet, so this shit is costing us money so that better be Ella," Nick said as he walked up to me. "But if it's not, we'll keep looking until we know something for sure."

"Is it wrong that I hope it's not her, with her parents in jail and... who knows where she is," I said as Nick held his head against mine.

"We'll see," Nick whispered, kissing me softly as we got into the car.

[/Harley]

[Nick]

Four hours later, we found ourselves walking into the Richmond Police Station. Mr. Halliwell had called them to let them know we were on our way and they were trying to look into where Maggie and Richard Erikson's daughter was. According to the police, she was in foster care and they were trying to get her blood tested, but the Erikson's wouldn't give permission, even though she wasn't in their custody anymore.

"I don't understand how the hell they should have any say so," I said, sitting in the police commissioners' office. "I mean, you know the situation. We just want a blood test and I'm sorry but obviously they don't seem like the most trustworthy people."

"Can we ask what they're in jail for?" Harley asked as the man, Chief Roberts, said as he held his hands together on the desk. "Or are we not allowed to ask?"

"Considering the situation," he said, taking a deep breath. "Child porn and molestation," he said as I looked at Harley who was staring at him. "That's why Isabella was put in special custody, but unfortunately, her mother was only arrested on child pornography, so she still has legal parental custody over her to make decisions."

"Isabella?" I asked. "Is that her name?"

"Yes it is," he said as I turned to Harley. "Why do you ask?"

"Our daughter, who we think she might be, she was named Ella," Harley said, taking a deep breath. "When was she born?"

"According to the paperwork, May 27, 2006," Chief Roberts said. "She's eight."

"That's her birthday," I said as Harley stood up and walked to the other side of the office. "They are in jail for something hideous, man. Can't the foster parents or the child services people just override their decision? We need to know, especially now that we know what's going on."

"I'll call and see what else I can do," Chief Roberts said, looking over at Harley who was trying not to cry.

He had to do something.

[/Nick]