Chapter 12 - All Settled

[Nick]

"Nick, I think in just two week's time, Ella is making progress."

"You think?"

"She's opening up more, talking about what happened and opening up about being with her new family."

"Can I ask what she said about that? About us?"

"She's very happy, Nick. She says she's never been so happy. I think you can tell that."

"I can, I just... I just want to make sure. I know Harley does, too."

"For what she has been through, she's better adjusted than I would have thought. She's gaining trust in you. Just keep up what you're doing. She's headed in the right direction."

"We're not heading home," Ella said as she sat beside me in the passenger seat after we left the psychologists office. It had been two weeks since she started seeing her and according to Dr. Carter (funny how that's her name), Ella was doing awesome.

"Dropping by somewhere first," I said as he looked at me strangely. "Don't worry, it's a television studio to see your Mom."

"Ooooh, she's recording today for overseas," Ella smiled as I nodded. "And I get o go see her work?"

"Yeah, we thought you'd enjoy it," I said, looking over at Ella as she stared out the window of the car.

I couldn't believe how she was changing before our eyes. She wasn't as scared around me anymore. She was still a little skittish around Jon, who was contemplating shaving off his mustache, something he's had since he was at least 18 he said. But she was sleeping through the nights in her room. Only twice has she came in our room. Once we found her in the bed that was in Noah's room even though he sleeps in his crib still.

She's really protective of Sadie and Noah, especially Noah for some reason. Maybe it's because he looks like her than Sadie does or maybe it's because he's so young.

"I set you up with a vocal coach starting next week," I said as we pulled into a parking lot. Ella looked at me and smiled, seeming anxious to go see Harley. "So that'll be fun."

"I can't wait," Ella smiled as I parked the car and we both got out of the car.

We made our way through security and I watched Ella, wearing a pink sundress, as security moved the probe around her. She looked at me, taking my hand as we headed down to Studio C where Harley was already recording.

"So you and Nick found your first child that you thought had died and you talked about on Oprah?

"Yes, it's a long story, but we were a part of the Atlanta doctor scandal that has been going on. We talked about Ella when we did the big Oprah episode. It was the first time we talked about her."

"They're talking about me?" Ella asked as I nodded, looking over to see Harley motioning for Ella to come over. I shook my head and Ella walked over slowly, stopping beside the camera.

"Come here, Ella," Harley said as Ella slowly walked up to Harley, standing next to her. "This is our daughter Ella that we found recently, our first child together." Ella gave a little wave to the camera and I sighed. Harley was way too open sometimes.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?

"Me?" Ella asked as Harley wrapped her arm around her. "I want to be a singer like my Mom and Dad. I start vocal lessons next week."

Great, now the world was going to do know another Carter would be singing.

[/Nick]

[Harley]

"That was scary," Ella laughed as she held my hand, walking back up to Nick. "I'm going to be famous now."

"Hey sweetie, why don't you go over where I'm going to sing in a few while I talk to your Dad," I said as I watched Ella walk over to the sound stage and I looked back at Nick. "She showed up and I thought it would be nice, Nick. She liked it."

"I'm just nervous," he said as I nodded, moving closer to him. "The doctor says she's doing really good, babe. She trusts me more so I don't want anything to happen..."

"She'll be fine," I whispered, kissing him quickly on the lips. "And tonight, Dad and Nadine are watching the kids, along with Daisy so she should be okay and we are going to have some alone time."

"Good, I kind of miss it...."

"I do, too," I whispered, kissing him quickly again before turning around and walked towards the sound stage.

"Mama, want are you going to sing?" Ella asked as I looked over at another guy who would be playing guitar along with me.

"Actually, I'm going to sing 'Ours,'" I said as Ella smiled. I sat down on the stool and picked up my guitar, a sparkly blue and team acoustic guitar.

"Ohh can I sing it with you?" she asked as I stared at her.

"Baby, not this time," I said as she started to frown. "We've got to get you a guitar and learn how to play so that we can do it together, okay?"

"Okay," she smiled, walking back over to where Nick was. I smiled, putting the guitar in my lap and started to play when the director gave us our cue.

[/Harley]

[Nick]

I stood there watching Harley as she began singing the opening lines of "Ours" while playing the guitar. I couldn't lie. I never got tired of watching her perform but sometimes I found myself starting to miss it a little myself.

I looked over, seeing Ella shift from foot to foot, singing along with her and I smiled, listening to her. She did have a good voice. It wasn't' as country sounding as Harley's voice was. It was a perfect pop voice.

I squatted down next to her, singing along slowly with her and she smiled.

"Wanna hear something funny?" I asked as she nodded. "Your Mom wrote that about us when we were together when we made you... but nobody heard it until recently."

"So the tattoos is your tattoos?" Ella asked as I nodded. "Why did people want to throw rocks at you?"

"It's a metaphor," I said. "Harley and I had a bad breakup before that, when she wrote 'Better Than Revenge,' and so... people thought we were kind of crazy being friends and the way we were then. They thought it would backfire."

"Did it?" Ella asked as I sighed. "I like hearing song stories."

"It made me realize what I wanted... you and Harley because she was pregnant with you and I was sick and in the hospital when you were born so... I wasn't there," I said, looking at Ella. "I always regretted that"

"You were on drugs," she said as I looked at her quickly before looking away. "They told me that my real Dad was a druggie." I sighed, looking down at my hands. "You're not one."

"I was at the time, just an addiction but I've been better for a long time," I said, looking at Ella who looked back at Harley in amazement. "You really want to be like her, don't you?" Ella nodded.

"Sing again," I said as she looked at me and began singing the end of the song. "Stop being shy, it's me. Sing for me." She smiled, trying not to be shy. Harley was right. She did have a really good voice.

Not every child star grows up to be horrible. I had problems but I've turned out okay. Harley has turned out okay. If she's just surrounded by the right people, everything would be okay.

Did I even want to be a showbiz father, much like my mother was with me?

[/Nick]