36 • Nightfall Angels

《Short Recap》

《Short Recap》

He looked at me in disbelief.

"Are you fucking sure?" he asked, "I don't want you to feel pressured."

I sighed loudly, "I can make my own decisions, Vinay. And I do understand your underlying need to get away from your family drama."

"Fuck! I love you so much, Akira." Vinay said, a twinkle adorning his pupils.

"Right." I rolled my eyes.

"But it's true." He replied earnestly.

Shaking my head, I finished the last bit of my meal and wiped the corners of my mouth with a tissue paper.

"Just don't ever take anything for granted as I told you before," I pulled my lips into my mouth, "Please."

●○●

"Wow, you really haven't changed anything in the last three weeks, have you?" Vinay exclaimed in surprise, walking over to the shoe rack and removing his faded canvas shoes and placing them next on his designated side with the rest of his shoes.

"Why would I?" I raised my brow, giving him a no-brainer look, "I have better work to do."

Shaking my head I kicked of my sandals and made my way to the kitchen to wash my hands.

"Do you want coffee?" I asked as I dried my hands with a small red hand towel.

"At night?" Vinay asked, removing his jacket and placing it on the arm of the sofa, "You won't be able to sleep if you have caffeine so late."

Rolling my eyes, I opened a cupboard above the kitchen counter and took out the coffee pot, filled half of it with water and set it on the stove to boil.

"Well, most people find it hard to sleep because their mind remains active instead of shutting down when they go to sleep," I said, "I on the other hand like that. Honestly, my best decisions have come from my pre slumber overthinking sessions. I find that it really helps to ponder over the heavy stuff in life as you lay in the darkness all by yourself, no external pressure, no unwanted noise. Just your heartbeat echoing in your ears and your deepest thoughts as company."

"Depends on what kind of thoughts they are." Vinay argued, "What if you have only dark thoughts?"

"Well, that's the point of thinking before you sleep," I asserted, "If you're lucky enough to have happy thoughts before sleeping, you'll have good dreams which I think is a bonus. If your thoughts are all dark and gloomy, well lucky for you, you get to sleep it off and start afresh the next day. It all depends on perspective, I suppose."

"Perspective or not, any person who can fall asleep easily after a full blown overthinking session has serious issues!" he replied, raising his hands up.

"Are you saying I've got issues, Mister?" I asked, placing my hands on my hips and sending him a menacing glare, "You know what, I don't care what you think. I like my coffee and that's that. Now come here and make it for me while I go change my clothes."