ELC24

ELC24

People are the most dangerous race existing in this world.

Mama used to tell me that a lot when I was younger. She says people make the world harsh to people themselves. But I always believed otherwise. Because novels and movies made me believe that it was natural for people to manifest flaws because we aren't perfect, after all. That at some point, there will always be someone who will give a hand to help and make life work. There will always be a way out.

It was a lie. I should have believed Mama before.

We all chose the actions we take. We aren't perfect, but we can be better. However, a lot of people chose to do the exact opposite. And because of that, we people, hurt one another, creating ripples of pain and hatred, making the world a harsh place to live.

I brushed my son's soft hair lightly using my fingers before I ducked down to give his forehead a kiss. He fell asleep even before I was done reading a children's book about unity and kindness.

Those kinds of books are made exactly for the pureness of a child's heart. I wish I could just protect my son's heart from reality.

"Sweet dreams, my love..." I whispered with air and without a voice so I could not wake him up.

I moved slowly away from him and he stirred up. I grimaced. I immediately reach for his favorite rabbit stuffed toy for him to hug.

"Mama... love..."

I smiled as I watch him sleep talk.

"I love you too, baby..."

I stayed in his room for more to watch him sleep. I didn't even notice how time passed by. Everything about this little ball of happiness seems so fast. Sometimes, I just wanna hold back the time so he won't grow fast.

Muli ko siyang hinalikan sa kanyang noo bago ako bumaba mula sa kanyang kama. I fixed my silk robe first before I went out of his room. Well, his room has an adjacent door to mine but I still don't wanna go back to my room.

I was about to go down to get some wine when I noticed someone's shadow on the balcony of the family room.

Ngumiti ako at imbis na bumaba ay doon ako dumiretso.

"Can't sleep?" I asked and walk outside. I was greeted by the cold winds. It was rather peaceful than cold.

Mama looked behind to see me. I smiled at her and sat on the chair next to her. She was holding a wine glass on her hand. I suddenly felt envious. This feels and surroundings must have been perfect with wine! I should have brought a wine glass since Mama already has a bottle of wine here.

"Is Aza asleep?"

Tumango ako sa kanya at ibinaling ang mata ko sa langit.

"And Papa?"

"He's getting older. He doesn't want to stay up late anymore."

We both chuckled.

"It's okay, Ma. Don't you think it's time for you two to rest and enjoy? We can handle everything for you now..."

She didn't answer me for a couple of seconds that's why I gazed at her. She was just looking at the sky above.

"Kill..."

"Hmm?" I anticipated her question because of her call.

"Can you really do it now?"

"Don't you trust me, Mama?"

She played with the wine inside the glass she was holding. Her full attention was on it alone while I remained watching her.

"I do... but do you think Aza will be fine?"