I

Oxford, 17 September

My dearest Catherine—

I must give you my deepest congratulations that the General has at last approved of your marriage to Mr. Tilney. The odd strokes of your last several letters betrayed your nerves, sister. Certainly, nothing gets past me! And you can be sure that while you were in anticipation, I would never tease you about your trembling pen. But now that we have received such happy news, I may be allowed to fulfill this particular duty of an elder brother!

But you must excuse me if I keep the news to myself. To be sure, Mr. John Thorpe still seems wounded by your rejection. And you need not repeat what you have related to me countless times, sister. I know it was truly a misunderstanding between you, for he does love to speak, and you love to listen. I know I have mentioned before that you ought to speak a little more clearly, so I shall not tread that territory again. I can imagine the look you're giving me right now!

Indeed, you may be wondering why I still associate with Thorpe considering that awful business with Isabella this past spring. Well, I shall tell you that Thorpe is as good a friend to me as Miss Tilney is to you, as you have described to me before. Whatever ignobility has corrupted his sister has not marred his good character, I can assure you. By the bye, I have heard that Isabella was recently married to a certain Northern tradesman. By God, I may indeed be preserved from her company forever, while still being able to maintain that treasured friendship with the brother.

To this end, I accompanied Thorpe and some other friends of ours to the assembly rooms at Carfax. Now I have been hesitant to enter into general society after Isabella, as to be sure, my heart was wounded after that affair. And Thorpe, certainly in concern of my wellbeing, has remained rather distant since the beginning of the term. However, he at last approached me with this scheme, and I was happy to accept. Of course, this late in the season, there is not much in the way of society to be found. Most of the London company has retired to the country by this time of year. However, I was fortunate to make the acquaintance of a particularly lovely young lady by the name of Miss Matilda Murray.

Catherine, I do believe this young lady may be the balm for my wounded heart. When she smiles, the world seems brighter. She is all sweetness and elegance, not at all like the coquetry of Isabella Thorpe. We danced together for two dances at the assembly, after which she regretted that she had to leave for the evening. But by God! I met her again the following week, hoping to press my luck at the assembly rooms. I had prayed that she had not left town, and I felt the luckiest man in the world when I caught sight of her fine eyes and flaxen hair. She danced with me again, and again she had to leave right away after. Despite our short meetings, I come away from Miss Murray light in spirit. Even Thorpe likes her, which is always a boon to the prospects of a proper lady. He and I return to the assembly rooms tonight, and if Miss Murray is found there, I shall take it as a sign from God that I may yet hope to love once again.

Do give my regards to your betrothed. A winter wedding will be quite charming!

Your most affectionate brother,

James Moreland