IV

Oxford, 10 October

Dear Miss Grey,

The days stretch on in Oxford. It has rained most of the time. I have seen the assembly rooms on several streets, and I have taken tea with prominent families. I have met many a promising son, either on the track towards academic greatness, in training for the clergy, or otherwise occupied by some manner of bustling business speculation. Mother has grown impatient with me several times over the course of our weeks here, yet she will not take us home yet. I suppose that is because I have made the acquaintance of several young suitors in whom Mother sees some potential.

Now there are two young men who have brought me some entertainment. I shall not give you too many details as to their person, for I believe Mother reads these letters. She was quite cross with me for several days after I sent off my first letter to you. I shall call these gentlemen by coded names: Mr. Well-Read and Mr. Well-Fed.

Mr. Well-Read is a very pleasing sort of man. He speaks when you speak to him, and he remains silent if you choose to refrain from speaking. He follows directions well, and is more than satisfied in fetching a glass of wine or in performing some favor. He is pleasingly useful. Were I Rosalie, I would have claimed him to impart all my flirtations on, for I imagine he would be amusing to crush in that cruel way Rosalie enjoyed. I, however, am not so cruel. I have enjoyed his company.

Mr. Well-Fed is a total blockhead. He stumbles through dance and conversation with equal blunder. He seems easily distracted; several times I have stood up with him, and have turned to him to make some comment or another, only to find he had disappeared from my side. This has even happened while he was in the midst of a sentence! His manners can only be described as coarse, even rough. He is not so well-bred as he attempts to seem.

Mr. Well-Read is a loyal hound, one which would be prized and valued by its master. But its master must be equally worthy of it and understand how to use it. Mr. Well-Fed is a mutt, hardly suited to catching rats, and who would easily confuse one master for another without proper training up.

I believe I can hear your thoughts here, Miss Grey. "Miss Matilda, you must marry a man, not a dog." Ah, but you know which of these creatures I prefer, do you not?

Most amused,

Matilda Murray