V

Oxford, 25 October

My dearest, closest friend and sister—

What wonder I have left you in since my last letter. You must no doubt be wondering as to how our call to Miss Murray had gone, as it seems to have been quite some time. Worry not, for it did not go unfavorably! Rather, the weather had put us off for an extended period, but by the end of the week, we were blessed by a day of sunshine.

Thorpe and I called on Miss Murray, and we were received quite happily. I met her mother, who I had been introduced to at the rooms at Carfax, but who now I was able to properly meet. She is a lovely woman, quite elegant and certainly had been a beauty in her day. Miss Murray looks little like her mother, but they both possess that easy, relaxed charm of accomplished ladies.

We passed a quarter-hour in conversation. I had been rather tired from studies, and so I was glad to have my friend with me, for I believe Thorpe never tires of conversation! However, the sunshine, which as I had said before had been seldom that week, tempted all of us out of doors, and so we took a walk down to the university parks to walk along the green.

The exercise and sunshine energized me, and so I walked beside Miss Murray to continue the conversation. I learned that she had a sister already married and two brothers who were still at school. I told her of you, my favorite sister, and of our family, which she appeared keenly interested in. I imagine you will love her just as another sister, Catherine. Miss Murray is everything that is goodness and pleasantness.

Our walk was momentarily interrupted by a shower. I had brought an umbrella with me, and the foresight was a blessing, for I was able to offer protection to Miss Murray. However, she was not at all bothered by rain! Instead her modest smile became a great grin, lighting up her handsome face, and before Thorpe and I could speak, Miss Murray took off at a run across the green!

Thorpe was quite amused, and he quickly followed after her. I could hear his pealing laughter as I hurried after them. As you know, Thorpe has always been a heartier lad than myself, and he caught up to Miss Murray some time before I did. They had taken shelter under a gazebo, and were laughing together merrily when I joined them.

The rain cleared within moments, and we dutifully delivered Miss Murray back to her mother. Mrs. Murray expressed some disapproval over the three of being wet from the rain and admonished me for not employing the umbrella in my hand. However, Miss Murray defended me by stating that a gust of wind had made the use of an umbrella impossible.

I came away from this meeting with such deep affection for Miss Murray that I have hardly been able to focus on any other thing. This is so different from Isabella, you must understand. I was infatuated with Isabella, but I am so deeply in love with Miss Murray.

I have not spoken of my feelings to Thorpe. I am quite anxious to do so, as I do not want him to become despondent. I will not, however, be able to keep it a secret from him for long. My heart bursts with this tender love for Miss Murray, and I know I'll not be able to hide it long. I can only pray and hope for his support.

I aim to my make intentions known to Miss Murray soon. I have sent a letter to Father about my intentions. I know he will be skeptical about this match considering what had happened this spring, and so I will need you to vouch for me, my dearest sister. I know you have not met Miss Murray, but I can assure you that she is the best example of your sex.

I shall ride up to Fullerton following my securing Miss Murray. I shall look forward to my visit, dearest sister!

Yours most affectionately,

J.M.