VII

Fullerton, 4 November

My love,

I cannot express how much I look forward to your visit at Fullerton for Christmas. Truthfully, I could not sleep the whole night my mother and father deliberated over the scheme. It seems a lifetime since we have been together, although I know it has not been more than a month. I have chosen a novel by which we may entertain ourselves during the evening. It is not quite so horrid as the works of Mrs. Radcliffe, but I believe you will be delighted with it. But I shall keep it a secret so that the mystery shall cultivate your interest!

I feel it is prudent of me to tell you the dramatic conclusion to my brother James' romantic tale with Miss Murray. I believe last I wrote, I had mentioned that James was in danger of falling in love with her. This has come to pass, but I regret to report that it is not a source of pleasing news, for a further development has taken place.

On the evening of 30 October, Miss Murray left Oxford in the company of Mr. Thorpe. Mr. Thorpe left a note to my brother expressing his intention of marrying Miss Murray, and by the morning of the second day, James heard the news that Miss Murray had been given in marriage to Mr. Thorpe in Brighton. You will not be surprised to learn, I am sure, that Mrs. Thorpe was witness to her son's marriage.

James rode up to Fullerton following his letter in which he declared his own intention to propose to Miss Murray. I was quite worried about his well-being, as this now marks the second time he has been dealt such a blow, and at the hands of the Thorpes nonetheless. A long conversation with my father seemed to put him right, however. Within the hour, James was pleased to admit that he should have realized the intentions of his friend long ago. I am troubled, however, that James seems more convinced of John Thorpe's good character more than ever before. He seems to understand the situation as one who has lost fairly to a romantic rival.

Still, James has rallied himself, and he has got his feet under the rug. He shall not be in low spirits for Christmas. My only hope is that he not meet a third charming young lady before that time.

I'm sure I'll not sleep a wink until your visit. There is only one event to which I anticipate more than that.

Always constant,

Cathy Moreland