III

Oxford, 7 October

My most affectionate sister—

The weeks which have passed have entirely healed me from that awful business in Bath this past spring. Thorpe and I are once again thick as thieves, and I have enjoyed his easy company just as much as I had long before I ever met that artful, callous sister of his. We do not speak of her. He has never mentioned her, and I believe it is in respect to my feelings. Thorpe is quite sensitive to these matters, as you may recall. But he may speak of her all he wishes now!

I have met Miss Murray at Carfax twice per week, and we have danced together at least once and sometimes twice at every meeting. She is the most charming creature I have ever known. She is entirely genuine, unlike my friend's sister. I am almost thankful I have met such a horrid woman, for now I have a basis on which to judge the character of other ladies in my path. And against such a repulsive person, Miss Murray appears as a saint!

By her own report, Miss Murray told me she is from a village called Horton, which is located not far from Oxford. By Thorpe (you know, my dear, how he has a talent for gathering information) I have learned that she is the youngest daughter of a very rich family indeed. Her elegant manner and air speak to her good breeding. At the risk of insulting my dear friend, I must justify my relief at this report. It is not that I value her money or her status for their own sake, but I do believe the lowliness of the Thorpe family is what possessed Isabella to pursue other more well-endowed families than ours. Miss Murray has no temptation to this end, for she already possesses all the comforts money could provide.

Thorpe himself approves of Miss Murray. He has called her "quite charming" and "pleasantly handsome". He has, as a great favor to me, spoken to Miss Murray of my greatest virtues while they dance together at the assemblies, and I believe his reports as to my character and tastes have endeared her to me. She often looks quite pleased to see me every time we meet. I am fortunate to have such an amiable friend who possesses such a talent for speech as Thorpe does.

At his excellent suggestion, we shall call upon Miss Murray this week. I should like to invite her out for a walk on the greens, as the weather is sure to be quite well. I shall write to you of this meeting, should it go favorably.

Graciously,

James Moreland.

P.S.: How awful of me to entirely forget to acknowledge your news of a settled date for your wedding! Spring is far more agreeable for a wedding than winter. Be sure, I shall not forget it.