𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞. ℎ𝑎𝑧𝑒𝑙'𝑠 𝑓𝑟𝑒𝑠ℎ 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡

Word count: 3074

𝐀 𝐅𝐄𝐖 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐒 later, Valerie returned to the living room in search of Five.

It was easy to spot him—well, easy to spot the neon-green drink in his margarita glass. He was sipping out of a matching green swirly straw, and he gazed out distantly in front of him. 

Jazz music played softly from the radio, accompanying the streaming sunlight in creating a pleasant atmosphere. The gentle piano notes stood out to Valerie against sharp drums and smooth trumpet, though she kept that at the back of her mind as she focused on the boy. 

"Seriously, Five?" she questioned with a half-exasperated, half-amused tone as she sat down on the stool next to him.

"Where've you been?" he questioned as he turned to her, letting go of his glass with one hand as he used it to trail down her thigh. A small smirk played upon his lips. "I've been missing you."

"Playing piano," she answered with a laugh as she swatted his hand away. "I haven't really gotten to play ever since this apocalypse thing started." She crinkled her nose at the seemingly radioactive drink. "What . . . what is that?"

"Margarita," he answered before gesturing towards the blender, which held more of the lime-green concoction. "Want one?" 

"No thanks, it's only, like, four in the afternoon," Valerie pointed out as she watched him take a sip out of his swirly straw. "Are you really that upset about the end of the world not happening?"

"It's not that I'm upset about it not happening, but . . ." Five sighed, giving a sloppy shrug. "I don't know, I feel . . . empty. Without purpose."

"Well, you know you have other things that can fill that void, right?" She raised her eyebrows as she watched him take another sip. "You could find a new mission! Helping Klaus get sober, maybe help Diego with anger management, help Luther somehow become less bulky and scary . . . Lots of things!"

"Those don't sound very appealing," he remarked as he crinkled his nose at the suggestions.

"Yeah, I guess those don't really compare to saving the world," she agreed with a small chuckle. "But still, we can go and meet Claire, go see how the world has changed in the years that we were gone . . ."

"Yeah." He stared straight ahead of him, his voice monotone as he muttered, "I guess."

"C'mon, Five, there are other things to live for without the apocalypse," she said gently as she placed a hand on his arm. "Like, there's—"

There was a sudden knock at the door, interrupting Valerie.

"I'll get it," Five sighed as he got up, taking his margarita with him as he headed toward the entrance of the house.

While waiting for Five to open the door, Valerie dashed down to the fridge and grabbed a jar of peanut butter, along with a spoon. Not the best snack, but it was definitely calorie-filled and would help her gain more energy.

Five returned with the mystery visitor as Valerie sat down and unscrewed the lid of the peanut butter jar. She looked up, her eyes widening once she saw who it was.

Hazel stood in front of them as Five sat back down in his seat, his margarita still in hand. Hazel's hand, however, was clutching a gun, whose end was pointed directly toward Five.

Valerie froze. "Five, why is—"

"It's all good," Five reassured her as he took another sip through his straw. He looked back towards Hazel, nodding towards the gun as he asked, "You're here to kill me?"