Chapter Five

I then followed the guys into the studio. "Why didn't Julie tell us she could shred on the piano?" Reggie asked.

"And sing. That girl can sing." Luke said.

"They both can." Alex added as he pointed at me.

"That's the first time she's played the piano since our mom died." I told them. "It was pretty hard... for both of us."

"I feel for you." Alex admitted before he climbed up to the loft.

"But now she has music back in her life." I smiled. "I've been waiting for her to play that song for months."

"Oh, hey!" Alex exclaimed. "Some of the clothes we left behind are still up here." He then threw a black bag down to the floor and the other boys smiled.

"Sweet!" Luke said as he pulled off both his jacket and his shirt. I turned my head away awkwardly as he pulled another t-shirt over his head. "Same clothes since 95 boys." He frowned as the door opened.

My dad walked straight through Reggie. "Woah, that was weird." The boy said.

"So, how've ya been?" Dad asked.

"Honestly, not that great." Reggie exclaimed. "See, we are these hot dogs, and-"

"Julie sang for the first time this morning. She hadn't done that in almost a year. You would've loved it. You both would've."

"Yeah, we saw cause we were... oh. Oh, I get it. He's not talking to us." Reggie said.

"You are so lucky you can play bass." Luke told him.

"He's talking to my mom." I said, softly.

"She's such an amazing young woman." Dad continued. "Everyday she reminds me more and more of you." I could feel tears filling my eyes and a lump forming in the back of my throat. "... I'm taking some pictures for the real estate website. I don't really wanna move, but... I guess it's best for Julie."

"Move?" Luke asked as he looked at me briefly before leaning on the piano.

"There's so many memories of Julie and Sophie playing next to you, and Sophie getting mad because she wasn't as good on the piano as she was on the guitar, and Carlos trying sing with his missing two front teeth.

"Oh, no, Luke. Not you, too." Reggie said with tears in his eyes. I then turned to Luke who was also crying.

"He's talking about moving, but the poor guy, he doesn't wanna move." Luke said.

Dad then held up his camera and he took a picture of the studio. "It's like they grew up out here."

"Oh, man. Now he's got me too." Reggie cried.

"How am I the emotional one?" Alex questioned.

"Can we go and see my family? See how they're doing?" Reggie then asked.

"Yeah." Luke told him before looking at me. "Are you coming?"

"I can't. I have somewhere to be." I said.

"Hey, do you remember when the kids were at your sister's, and we came out here on our anniversary...?"

"That's my cue to leave." I announced. "I guess I will see you guys later." I told the boys before poofing out.

***

Today I decided to follow my best friend and see how she was doing, as creepy as it sounds. Between classes, she approached her locker and when she kicked as I smiled at the picture of the two of us pinned to the inside of her locker door. But the girl frowned as she took the photo down. "I miss you so much." She told the photo.

"I miss you, too." I smiled.

"Laura!" My ex, Harvey, then exclaimed as he approached the girl. "Can we talk?"

"There's nothing to talk about." Laura scoffed as she put our picture back in her locker and shut the door before turning to the boy. "You cheated on me. You can't take that back."

"I'm sorry, okay?" Harvey claimed. "I guess I've just been acting out."

"Oh, really? Why's that?"

"My girlfriend died." He told her.

"Oh, that's rich." Laura said. "Considering she was my best friend. She was the closest person I had. I told her everything. And she's the one person I want to talk to about you but I can't because she died." She finished, crying. "And you get to act out because you dated her for a year?"

"Maybe me and you was a mistake." Harvey then frowned. "Maybe we shouldn't have used Sophie as an excuse to get together. We're still grieving."

"You're right." Laura told him, wiping her face dry. "Maybe we don't work like we thought we would."

"Don't do this, guys." I frowned. "You two are perfect for each other. I knew that even before... I died."

"I guess this is it then." Harvey told the girl.

"I'll see you around." Laura finished before walking away.

"You were there, Flynn. I have to reapply next semester. There's only so many spots." I heard Julie say as she walked past me. I immediately began to follow her as she continued to talk about how she wasn't allowed back into the music program as her spot had already been filled.

"They can't do that." I frowned. "You're more talented than the rest of them all together."

"It is what it is, Flynn." Julie said. "I guess I'll give it a go next semester, like Mrs Harrison said."