Chapter 10: It Followed Me Home

"Seraphim," I shuddered, trying to stay composed.  A sworn enemy from my world.

Walking across the forest floor with my weapon drawn, I carefully inched closer to the target. They were only about 166 feet away, and things could get ugly. As I approached, images and thoughts of my previous world began to populate all over my head and haunt me. I could see glimpses of our gloomy past and the dystopian society we had become.

I felt my memory flashback before me, and I saw vivid images and memories:

Earth-77, before the collapse, was a dark, dreadful world filled with immense suffering and significant loss. I remembered seeing images of Salt Lake City populate my head. It was the same city where I lived my simulated life, but it was far different regarding the futuristic timeline. Over 500,000 people used to live here, now it was a ghost town.

The Seraphim, as we called them, were corrupt elite soldiers from Earth-77 that patrolled many abandoned cities after the Progenitor-89 virus outbreak, one of them being Salt Lake City because that's where patient zero was rumored to be

The Seraphim, as we called them, were corrupt elite soldiers from Earth-77 that patrolled many abandoned cities after the Progenitor-89 virus outbreak, one of them being Salt Lake City because that's where patient zero was rumored to be. They were initially stationed to control the outbreak, but their methods of containment were highly questionable, inhumane, and unregulated by the disbanded government. They'd shoot any 'organic' on sight, meaning that anyone who wasn't wearing a full suit of air-tight protective armor would be eliminated without question. Animals included.

This was a desperate attempt to control the spread

This was a desperate attempt to control the spread. While it did work, for the most part, it was completely unfair to honorable civilians, medical personnel, and policemen who had no access to such limited resources. It was an absolute slaughter, and the Seraphim essentially became the very thing they swore to destroy. Aggression was one symptom of the outbreak, but the Seraphim did a much better job displaying it than the virus. How ironic.

Seraphim were commonly fitted with dark gray or vantablack armor, colors to induce fear and power, consisting of pico-particles that were far more advanced than nano-technology. For one nanoparticle, 1000 pico particles could fit in its place, giving the armor a darker appearance than nano-armor due to its highly condensed nature. Thus, if you got in a knife fight with a Seraphim, their pico particle blade would slice through any nanoparticle armor like butter since the pico particles could easily slip between the nanoparticles.