Chapter 17: Platform 9¾

Well... so much for looking decent. 

I mean, the gesture was much appreciated and the bunnies did a marvelous job on crafting the tail; but the helmet, my goodness, the helmet was just... the worst. I thought transforming into a rabbit was a bad dream but this unwarranted apparatus in my gauntlets was an absolute nightmare. One doesn't simply travel all the way across the universe to have a state-of-the-art nano helmet become presumptuously decorated by young bunnies to look like a deranged Easter bear. 

The rest of the morning felt like an energetic hustle for a grand marathon. Everyone awakened from their habitations and gathered outside the Hopp's family home to spend a couple of quick last-minute moments with Judy before she would leave for the city. This time, I'd be going with her and who knows if I'd ever come back here. Judy would, of course, since this was her family but it was unlikely for me.

In all honesty, I was going to miss these fluffy little bunnies but I knew that we'd somehow stay in touch since social media was a big thing here. Donovan, Hazel, and a few others gave me their numbers yesterday so that they could share the proud pictures of my new tail. Yes, the tail was marvelous, along with the patches of white fur to sell my disguise a bit more, but the helmet, gosh, that helmet I just couldn't stop looking at it without trembling my head. I suppose the ears weren't too bad but the face, why the face? It had a smile drawn on the mouthguard which implied that I'd be smiling by default. Nope, not happy with that. I'm not an overly cheerful high school mascot.

"Hey, come on. " Judy laughed. I flinched a little as I didn't see her standing at the front porch doorway. "You're not gonna break my sisters' hearts now are you?"

"It's a possibility at this point," I replied, scratching away the glitter.

"You should've seen your face!" Hazel graciously mocked. "That look of shock on you was priceless."

I shook my head in disappointment and carelessly lifted my helmet in front of her. "This helmet is priceless... ...and it's not to be meddled with."

"C'mon Cherry! You gotta learn to laugh a little and have some fun!" Hazel said with a casual smile. "Your helmet's too scary looking anyway."

"If only it scared you away from decorating it." I frowned.

"Just wear it to the station and you can clean it when we get there." Judy lifted her niece Cotton onto her shoulders. "Besides, I  think it suits you well. We all do.  Right, Cotton?" 

"Yeah!"

"Whatever." I grudged while placing the helmet of shame on my head. "I guess I can survive until then. You said station?"

"That's right. We're taking the train to Zootopia."

"Zoooooootopia!" Cotton cheered while embracing Judy's head. "I'm gonna miss you Judy!" 

"I'm gonna miss you more!"

"I'm gonna miss you the mostest!"

"And we're going to miss you too!" Stu called from the truck. Didn't realize he was standing there the whole time. "I guess we'd better get going or you both are gonna miss your ride and have to spend another day with us."

"Oh, yes, that's right, Stu." Bonnie poked her head out the window. "We already made Judy fifteen minutes late."

 "Heck, any extra time we can get is worth it."

"Mm-hm, amen."

Judy had her lime green carrot-themed suitcase in her paw and happily skipped towards the farm truck while keeping little Cotton steady on her shoulders. That little niece of hers didn't want to let her go so she tried to get as much playtime with Judy as possible.