Chapter 34: Phoenix

The next thing I knew, I was falling.

After jumping out the third-story window of the ZPD station, I was surrounded by thousands of tiny glass shards.  Within the cold night breeze, my adrenaline propelled me through the air.

Time itself seemed to slow down.  Even for a dimensional traveler, it was still a beautiful and liberating moment.   But that all ended once I looked down.  The momentum ceased and gravity took over.

My mortal frame made a hard landing - boots first followed by a somersault - atop of a red van, effectively crushing it flat like an empty soda can.  The rest of the glass from above me came raining down, shattering all around, until the entire pavement was covered in a thin blanket of shards.

  The rest of the glass from above me came raining down, shattering all around, until the entire pavement was covered in a thin blanket of shards

Whatever I was doing, I could only hope that it was worth more than the damage done.

Thank goodness no one was in the van...

...I probably should've thought of that before jumping out the window.

After standing up to recover, the damaged van's alarm began to blare loudly throughout the streets and echo across the brick pavement.  The sounds alternated between an elephant's trumpet and a lion's meow so I had to flee the area as quickly as humanly possible.

Thus, I brushed off the glass and darted towards the nearest alleyway to avoid detection.   After seven minutes of walking, my surroundings fell quiet again.  It was 1:37 AM and I couldn't believe I was out this late.  Definitely past my curfew.  Though it was technically morning, it would appear as nighttime for some.  Without daylight or a pocket watch, one couldn't tell the difference.

Unlike daytime, the city was calmer and there were hardly any souls out on the streets.  For a moment, it felt like the human world all over again.  No talking animals, no constant staring, and no flashing phone cameras.   Just me and the lonely sidewalk.

As I panned my head around to admire the exotically shaped skyscrapers standing tall and proud in the night sky, a wave of relief swept over me.  The stars were out, constellations were visible, the moon shone brightly, and the air was brisk. It was nice to finally be outside again.  

Back in prison, the closest I ever got to being outside was standing next to the cell window.  The stamped steel mesh with the welded iron bars didn't really enhance the experience.  Nevertheless, Judy and Nick did their best to ensure my confinement was slightly more bearable, even while under restricted job limitations due to my extraterrestrial nature.  For over three months, they made frequent visits and I knew they'd do it for one more month until the sentence was over.  They cared about my overall wellbeing and I never imagined feeling grateful for a fox and a bunny.

Truly, I owed them big time.

Unfortunately, what I was about to do would likely jeopardize their invested efforts towards my rehabilitation.  My prison sentence would be lengthened, security would be tightened, and trust would diminish.  Why then, was I doing this?  Because my idleness would haunt me again.  The ZPD may put me in bulkier chains but their physical weight would be nothing compared to the mental weight of guilt.