Chapter 2

© Jojo B 2020

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Jojo B. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.

______________________________________________________________________

Divine and Damned

Chapter 2

Lunch was chicken salad wraps, and for Micah he had a Quorn substitute, which he actually liked. Nathan of course doused his entire meal with Tabasco hot sauce until his plate was swimming with it, claiming he couldn't enjoy his food unless he felt some 'heat'.

"Did you call your brother to come and eat?" Gwen asked Raphael, who nodded his raven-haired head.

"He said he was coming, and that was fifteen minutes ago," he muttered back, finishing his third wrap or so.

I snuck shreds of chicken from the shared plate in the middle of the dining table, eating it on its own, despite being relatively stuffed after two hefty wraps.

"Maybe he's in pain again," Gwen gave Sammael the benefit of the doubt. "It's been pretty warm these days."

"Oh please," Nathan scowled. "This is not warmth. Sammael needs to toughen up."

"Well, ice demons and former Angels of Fire have very different definitions of 'warm'," I unhelpfully added.

It was a touchy subject, since Nathan still hadn't recovered his fire abilities despite the battle with Randal being nearly three months ago. At first, we thought he'd get them back after he recovered from his cold, but weeks turned into months, and he still couldn't conjure up his flames. Even though Nathan brushed it off and pretended he was fine, there was no denying the emotions that simmered under his skin.

"Well, if he does not come, I will gladly finish the rest," Nathan commented darkly.

But, of course, Gwen had saved some wraps for Sammael on the counter, so that defeated the point.

At the sound of footsteps, I turned to see Sammael himself appear in the kitchen doorway. My chest gave a squeeze that I had long grown accustomed to, since the death of Sariel. He may have been shorter, but Sammael was the spitting image of Sariel, his oldest brother, from the blonde hair right down to the colour of his fair lashes.

"Speak of the devil, and he appears," Nathan stared at him as he slid the rest of the chicken pieces onto his own plate.

Sammael mustered a surprisingly scalding look for someone with a new aversion to heat.

"Too soon?" Nathan smirked.

"Nathan," Cassiel murmured.

Sammael ignored him as he made his way to the counter where Gwen had left him his portion of food.

"I hope you like cheese, I put some in out of habit," Gwen adjusted her glasses on her nose.

"Thank you," Sammael mumbled, after receiving a warning look from Raphael.

"You're welcome," Gwen smiled back.

Sammael leaned against the counter to eat, since all six of the dining table chairs were taken. Currently he was in his normal form, his golden eyes catching the sunlight as he looked out of the window dejectedly. I forced myself to look away, swallowing my sadness as I took a tortilla wrap and started nibbling around the edges.

"Do you ever smile?" Nathan was back at it again.

"Not if I am looking at something as distasteful as you," Sammael shot back.