Chapter 5

© Jojo B 2020

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Jojo B. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.

______________________________________________________________________

Divine and Damned

Chapter 5

"So, what did you decide to have in the end?" I looked at the mug Cassiel was holding.

"Vodka lemonade, the usual," he replied, taking a gulp.

"In a mug?" I smiled. "I thought it was tea."

"Mug, cup, does it matter?" he lazily backhanded the air.

"Well, do you want to try again?" I asked him.

Cassiel paused, then nodded, passing his mug to me.

I stepped back, though I didn't know if it would make a difference or not. Standing outside the cabin, Cassiel had attempted numerous times to call his brother. I'd suggested that trying outside could be easier than doing it indoors, so Cassiel had been doing it that way.

He looked to the cloudy heavens with bits of blue peeking through, then he closed his eyes and touching his fingers to his temples. I took a sip of his drink, feeling the vodka immediately singe my nose hairs and bring tears to my eyes. His mix was at least eighty percent alcohol, and he made it look like nothing. Thankfully, he wasn't binge drinking though, and even with a beverage like this, Cassiel wasn't more than a little tipsy. Though he'd only just started.

"Anything?" I called out to him.

He shook his head, a frown of concentration on his face. I scuffed the ground with my tennis shoes (not that I played tennis), then looked around. Joe was, again, sunbathing not too far away from us, his arms folded behind his head. Gwen and Raphael were working, and who knew where everyone else was.

Cassiel's sharp sigh brought my attention back to him, and I saw him scowling in frustration, shoving a hand through his hair.

"Maybe he's working," I shrugged as I joined him again.

"Or he really does not care to know me," Cassiel muttered, taking the mug back from me.

"Why would he not want to know you?" I asked him, looking between his eyes.

He was quiet for a moment, then he lowered his gaze, "He must know I am a Fallen Angel. It is disappointing, or maybe embarrassing for him."

"Oh, come on, Cass," I placed a hand on his arm. "That's not true."

"It could be what he thinks," he met my gaze, then took another long sip from his mug.

I sighed and squeezed his free hand, not sure how to respond. It was possible that was indeed what his brother thought, but it definitely wasn't true. For the first time, I started to feel resentment towards this new sibling of Cassiel's. Had he really been ignoring Cassiel's attempts to connect?

"Anyway," Cassiel said. "There is your brother, this is your chance to make it up to him."

"Make what up to him?" I pulled a face.

"His eyebrows," Cassiel blinked at me, surprised I'd forgotten.

"You know, he was the one who removed them – okay!" I stopped when he gave me a look.

Crossing the baked grass over to where my younger brother lay, I came to a stop beside him.

"Joe?" I called, lifting my eyes to the sky when he didn't respond.