Chapter 4

© Jojo B 2020

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Jojo B. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.

______________________________________________________________________

Divine and Damned

Chapter 4

I felt a gentle hand cupped beneath my head, then the caress of a pillow. Blinking my eyes open, I peered up into Cassiel's face, his brows bunched together in concern.

"Are you okay?" he asked me.

I took a second to think, registering the splitting pain at the back of my head.

"My head hurts like hell," I mumbled, raising my hand to feel for a bump.

Cassiel stopped me, taking my hand in his and lowering them onto the bed beside me.

"You slipped on ice," Cassiel informed me, his lips drawn into a line of annoyance.

"Sammael?" I raised my brows.

He nodded, clenching his jaw for a moment, "He said he did not mean to, but he still should have been more careful."

"Wait, did I pass out?" I frowned at him.

He nodded, squeezing my hand, "For just a couple of minutes."

Letting out a sigh, I supposed it could have been more serious. Then the pounding pain in my head made me think better.

"Could you get me some painkillers, please?" I asked Cassiel.

"Of course," he stood up, leaving me in the room as he went to fetch some.

I winced as I lifted my head from the pillow, gingerly brushing my fingers against the back of my head. My hair felt damp, and I quickly withdrew my hand to inspect it, feeling my chest sink in relief when I saw it wasn't blood. Must have just been the ice that had melted into water.

Cassiel shortly returned with a glass of water and two white pills that I quickly washed down. He'd brought a chair from the kitchen to sit beside the bed, making me smile softly.

"I'm not dying, Cassiel, you don't have to sit here like that," I reached for his hand again.

The corner of his lips lifted, "I know that, I just want to talk to you."

"About what?" I looked at him questionably.

"Your rash."

Dread settled over me like a stifling blanket, knowing I'd have to have this conversation sooner or later. Ignoring it wouldn't make it go away, evidently.

"You said it looked like the number six hundred and sixty-six," my expression was flat.

"Six-six-six," Cassiel repeated.

"When you say it like that, it sounds scary, Cassiel!" I moaned, biting on my lower lip.

Another smile graced his lips, "There is nothing to be scared about. We are going to figure it out."

"Randal did it to me," I said after a pause. "He must have done it when he attacked me...after I killed Holly."

Cassiel nodded, his brows furrowing in thought.

"I don't know why though!" I blurted. "Surely he would have made sure I died, you know, revenge and all that."

"Well, you did die," Cassiel reminded me.