Chapter 3

© Jojo B 2020

All rights including those in copyright in the content of this story are owned by Jojo B. It's Illegal to steal and/or copy.

______________________________________________________________________

Divine and Damned

Chapter 3

I dragged a brush through my thick, dark hair and tied it up in a quick ponytail. My work uniform was a standard pair of black trousers, which I'd had to purchase myself, and a forest green polo shirt with the store's logo on it.

It was my first ever job, which had taken a miracle to achieve since my GCSE grades weren't all that amazing. Despite it being temporary, my mother said if I performed well, they could call me back to work during my school breaks. Though she also added that I shouldn't give all my free time to work, or I'd have no time to study. Knowing myself, I'd find no time to study, even if I was locked in my bedroom all day.

Putting in my tiny gold hooped earrings, I smacked some lip balm on and grabbed my backpack. Water bottle, purse, keys and phone, as well as my work fleece jacket in case I was to be in the freezer section.

"I'm here, I'm ready," I murmured as I jogged down the stairs, waking up last minute as usual.

I'd only given myself enough time to shower and change, leaving me no other option but to skip breakfast, despite me warning others not to. Whilst changing, I made sure not to even look at my rash, in fear of what Cassiel had said. The thought of the rash being more than just eczema made a sick feeling settle in my stomach.

I gripped the banister tightly as I made my descent down the stairs, flashes of yesterday's fall coming into my mind. I didn't have any bruising, thankfully, but my stomach and ribs were definitely tender waking up this morning.

The jingle of Mum's keys meant she'd finished her tea and was ready to leave. She usually dropped us off at the store when we had morning shifts, since the supermarket was on the route to her work as an accountant. Cassiel, Micah and Nathan were probably already out the front, waiting in the crisp morning air. They rarely came into the house when my mother was home, out of shyness it seemed. That and they didn't usually know what to say to her. I was normally the one to bridge the gap, not that my mother had any problem interrogating – I mean, talking to – them.

"What is this I heard about Joe's eyebrows?" Mum asked as she joined me in the hallway.

"I, er – I was just helping him, he asked me!" I floundered for words.

Her beige pencil skirt and cream blouse complimented her brown skin and her short brunette hair was tucked perfectly behind her ears. She was thinking of growing the dye out and going back to her natural thicker texture, seeming to reminisce on the look.

"You shouldn't have done that, Vienna," she shook her head dismissively, as if not wanting to even get into it.

"He's the one who shaved all his eyebrows off!" I protested hotly. "That wasn't even me! What I did was a minor accident."

She regarded me with her dark eyes, before nodding, "Let's go."

Walking outside, my mood lifted when I saw the boys standing by the white Range Rover. They definitely weren't morning people, and I could see how exhausted Cassiel was from the way his eyes were barely open. Only Micah seemed alert, though he was much quieter in the mornings, probably taking time to wake up still.

"Good morning," Mum greeted them with a smile, unlocking the car doors with a communal clunk.

"Good morning, Jane," the boys responded.