Chapter 12

Note: I'm reuploading all full chapters of this book! My site is temporarily down, but I don't want you to have to wait to read.

🔮Vote and comment 🔮

-

Diana P.O.V.

I leaned away from Damon as the knocking persisted. "They'll go away," he whispered, pressing another deep kiss to my lips.

Three more knocks pulled my attention. "It might be important," I said, breathless as I pushed him back and readjusted the towel I had wrapped around me.

I roamed out of the bathroom and to the room door, taking a deep breath before responding. "Who is it?" I asked.

"I'm sure I don't have to explain to you how ridiculous it is to be locked out of a room in my own home," Klaus' voice spilled through from the other side.

"I was...busy," I said weakly.

"Rebekah informed me of as much," he said with a dark chuckle. I could hear the smirk from where I stood. "Get dressed and come downstairs. Marcel agreed on our trade, so we should have a little chat," he said. "Feel free to bring your new plaything along," he added just before walking away. I grumbled a few curses, knowing Klaus's emphasis on the word 'new' would catch Damon's ear.

"I'm a replacement?" Damon feigned offense as he stepped into the room, fully naked with his towel cast to the floor.

"And I'm not?" I rolled my eyes, pointedly looking away from the part of him that had made my body sing a tune like no other hardly an hour before.

"Mmm...more like an upgrade," he winked, stepping up to me.

I slipped past him to the dresser, which had little color-coded sticky notes I hadn't noticed before now. Caroline had taken this temporary movie of Bonnie's and mine a little too seriously. I couldn't understand why there were six designated drawers. I'd had barely enough clothes to make a week's worth of outfits when I arrived at Bonnie's and while she let me borrow a few shirts here and there, but nothing to fill a dresser.

Shrugging silently, I rummaged through the drawers. In the top one was a note from Caroline. "Bonnie said you didn't really have any clothes and I wasn't really sure about your style, so me and Matt went shopping. Hope you like! And can this be a peace-offering? I really wanna be friends. Love, Care!"

A small smile crept over my face before I could stop it. Maybe Bonnie's friends weren't absolutely horrid after all. I shook the thoughts away and quickly sifted through the drawer for something comfy. We had bigger issues to deal with right now.

I slipped on the first pair of joggers I found and tugged a white cropped t-shirt on along with it before turning to watch Damon button up his jeans, still shirtless. I walked over to him, snatching up his black v-neck from the floor, and tossed it to him. "Come on, plaything," I winked and turned to the door.

Before I could reach the doorknob, he'd pulled me back against him with one hand on my waist and one tightly gripping the hair at the back of my head. "We both know I'm becoming so much more than that," he chuckled darkly, nipping the top of my shoulder.

I stifled a moan as he pressed a hot kiss to the crook of my neck, trying to tug his hand away from my hip. "Whatever this is or isn't becoming..." I rubbed my hands over his, still gripping my hip, "it's a conversation for another time. Come on, this plan isn't going to make itself."

With an exaggerated sigh and another light bite against my neck, his fingers slipped out of my hair and he followed me out the door and down the stairs where Klaus and two of his original siblings were seated.

"It's about time, charmer-witch. In case you haven't noticed, we've a doppelgänger to rescue and a world to save," Klaus spoke as we walked into the room. "You'll be pleased to know Marcel was very interested in our little trade deal. We had quite the compelling conversation about you. You were in his care for what? Two years, was it?"

I rolled my eyes at Klaus, nodding a greeting to Kol and Elijah. "What are the terms and how do we get around them?"

"You didn't tell me he had feelings for you," Klaus continued, chuckling darkly, his face full of mischief and amusement.

"It wasn't relevant," I shrugged, leaning into Damon's embrace as his arms wrapped around me. "Did you mention my sister?" I asked, my heart dropping with the thought.

"Of course not, but he didn't seem interested in anything that wasn't you," Klaus said, still smirking.

"Funny, considering how obvious he made his hatred of me during my imprisonment there. Did he mention the Harrowing?" I asked, ignoring how Damon's hand gripped the fabric at the side of my shirt.

"He didn't give specifics, but if I didn't know any better, I'd say he was under the impression that the two of you were in a romantic relationship," Klaus's eyes flickered from mine to Damon's and back, his smirk still in full-effect.

"Marcel Gerard doesn't have feelings for anyone. He's a cold-hearted bastard who only sees people as a means to an end for whatever his next power play is. Right now, it's the Harrowing. He sees you as one of very few threats to his kingdom. Of course he isn't going to tell you why he really wants me, but if you think it's for anything other than this ritual, you're sadly mistaken," I huffed, ending my rant. "When and where is the tradeoff supposed to happen?"

"The less you know, the better, charmer-witch. For now, you only need prepare a glamour spell for a more dispensable witch I'll be sending in your wake. Make sure it's good enough to fool Marcel. Seems he's had his eye on you for quite some time," he smirked again.

Damon snarled, a low rumble emanating from his chest. "I'll get the spell done. When will the other witch be here?"

"Tomorrow morning," he answered. He hesitated to speak again, looking between Damon and I. "You two have gotten quite close in a very short amount of time," his eyes twinkled in amusement, but his tone was anything but.

I ignored his subtle indications and shrugged. "Bonnie's still not back yet?"

"Not since my earlier departure," Klaus answered. "As much fun as all this has been, I've a son to betray. Check our library for the spell. We've at least two hundred grimoires; I'm sure it's in one of them," Klaus nodded at me before he and his oddly silent brothers vamped from the room.My stomach clamped in fear. Wherever Bonnie was, Stefan was there, too. At a time when they should be as far away from each other as possible. Just as I started for the front door, it clicked open and Bonnie drifted in with Stefan close behind her.

Her hips held a slight sway as she stepped into view. Her hair was messy, her lips swollen and her face flushed like she and Stefan had just ripped their faces away from each other mere seconds earlier. Her eyes were glossy as she found mine and a small smile curved over her lips. "Di," she said, her voice hoarse. "So what happened? Is Klaus gonna rescue Elena?"

I nodded, still taking in her appearance. There was something different, and a make out session - no matter how hot and heavy - couldn't have caused this. Damon tensed up behind me suddenly. "Stefan, what did you do?" he ground out through gritted teeth.

"What I wanted, for a change," Stefan said, glaring over my shoulder at Damon. "Bonnie's mine, Elena or no Elena. And the judgement in your stare isn't gonna change that."

"Bonnie--"

"It was my choice, Di. And I don't regret it. Even if the magic fades," she said, firm but quiet as she looked to the ground.

Magic fades...the words reverberated in mind after she'd said them. "The magic...it's faded. I can't feel it around us anymore," I mumbled to myself, closing my eyes to open my self to the feeling of various magic in the air. I felt Bonnie's power, the magic flowing through Damon, then Stefan, and the Originals of the house. Dark objects, cursed weapons and bound coffins. Magical books, enchanted scrolls, herbs and crystals. I could feel all the magic with in a three mile radius around me, and while Bonnie and I were both emanating it, our sire-magic wasn't influencing anyone within that radius. Outside of it was a different story. Was our magic warding off the magic of another witch?

"Damon, when you tried to compel me and I turned it against you, you said I broke you from some infatuation with the doppelgänger...what made you think that?" I turned in his arms and asked.

"Hmm," he rubbed the hair at the back of his head, "it was an odd feeling, really. It's like, all of a sudden my thoughts about her changed. Like I'd been seeing her through some kind of love-filter in my head that was ripped away. All the memories I had that made me believe I loved her just didn't make any sense after that."

"And you?" I turned to Stefan. "When did your attention shift to my sister?"

He glanced down at her, a small gentle smile rising to his face as he pulled her into him. "Today, when we first heard about the Harrowing, right after I hugged Bonnie and left."

"Why?" Damon asked, shifting behind me.

"Bonnie hasn't been accidentally siring Stefan, and I didn't lose control of my magic either. This town was already influenced. Our power is disrupting it, but only within a certain distance from what I can tell," I explained. "Bon, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have accused you before I was sure."

"No, Di, it's okay," Bonnie shook her head, "it was a...strange development," she said, clearing her throat.

"And now you can't deny that what we have is real," Stefan added, pointedly as he looked down at Bonnie again. Bonnie glanced up and blushed, meeting his eyes.

"Wait, so is this disruption temporary? How far is this certain distance you mentioned?" Damon asked.

"I...I can't say. We'd have to test it," I shrugged. "One of you would need to go outside of the radius of my magic and see if anything changes. It's maybe two or three miles. It still doesn't answer why your feelings latched on to us so quickly," I said, thinking out loud. "I'm gonna have a look at those grimoires," I nodded at Damon.

"What grimoires?" Bonnie asked.

"Klaus has a library full of them. I need to know more about whatever is going on here," I said, quickly rushing from the room with Damon's hand in mine.

"What's on your mind?" Damon asked once we were behind the library's closed door. I moved to light another sage smudge, ensuring privacy from vampire or hybrid hearing. "I need to find that glamour spell to get Elena back," I moved to the shelf filled with old leather bound and suede wrapped grimoires and pulled down as many as my arms could hold. "I also need to understand whatever this bond is between the four of us," I huffed, bringing the load of books to the table I'd lit the smudge on. "Whether it's related to our magic or not, it's still not natural. It's more than attraction and lust. Even you admitted that," I said, flipping through pages as I mumbled a search spell to find the page with the glamour incantation on it.

The first book was a bust. The second and third gave examples of what they looked like in action and mal-effects if one was executed poorly. It was interesting to know that I could use magic to imprint myself - personality, physical appearance and even a shadow of my magic - onto another witch, but it wasn't giving me the information I needed. How to do the damn spell.

Damon had started sifting through his own stack of grimoires, but I wasn't sure he even knew what to look for. "How does 'soulmates' sound to you," he asked with a smirk that didn't quite reach his eyes. When I gaped at him in silence, he slid the open book in front of him over to my side of the table. It was turned to a page entitled 'Anam Cara.'

My eyes scanned the page. "Mates? I thought that was a werewolf thing," I said absently, still reading over the entry. "'A bond can be born of nature or created out of a contract for protection.' Do you think that's what happened? Bonnie mentioned you had some kind of agreement with one of our ancestors about protecting the Bennett line, right?"

"But wouldn't that make me bound to Bonnie? And, I'm not really the love-at-first-sight kinda guy, but all this started with you," he responded, his eyes dropping to my lips for a moment.

"So, then what? Do you think something's been suppressing this bond all this time? And Bonnie's magic alone wasn't enough to break through it?"

"It makes perfect sense, actually," he shrugged.

It made zero sense to me, though. How would a natural soul bond form between centuries-old vampires and literal teenage witches? What was natural about that? Vampires and witches were genetically predesigned as enemies, two fiercely opposing creatures, one abomination and one of nature. A soul bond just sounded too farfetched for me to believe it.

I slid the book back to him and took another from my own stack, mentally flipping through it for that glamour incantation. Thoughts of soul bonds and mating with vampires ran thick and heavy through my mind, but no matter how many ways or times I mulled it over, it just sounded insane. I shook the thoughts away and tried again to find the spell I needed in yet another grimoire.

It felt like this night would never end. And an hour ago, I was wishing it wouldn't. But now, I was just exhausted and confused and in severe need of a twelve-hour nap. 

-

🔮Vote and comment 🔮