Lexington to Newark

It was the day before they were leaving for New Jersey. So about two weeks, otherwise known as two phone calls and three more letters sent to E. Harmon in Lexington, Kentucky.

"So we'll meet in South Kearny?" she was looking at the map, having the phone sandwiched between her head and shoulder.

"Yes. How are you getting there again?"

"I can take the bus, it'll cost a bit but it's worth it,"

"uhhhhhh, are you sure you want to do that?" he said cautiously.

"I'm a big girl, I can take the bus,"

"Well, you're also a beautiful girl and you need to be safe,"

Any argument she had for him flew out the window.

"Well I'm still going on the bus, I don't have a car to drive,"

"Fine but leave your hotel for the bus at 12,"

"Isn't that late? Like I wanted to go-" She was confused,

"I have to do something before we get together,"

"Oh." and disappointed.

"You hear anything back from Chess Review?" he said, trying to change the subject.

"No."

"Oh." They had been talking for over an hour at this point planning things for the next few days and now... everything seemed to be falling flat.

"I should probably go now, maybe I can help Beth practice a bit,"

"Ok then, don't miss me too much in the meantime,"

"Bye, you annoying boy" his little bit of sarcasm cracked her disappointment a little bit.

"Bye, I lo-"

Emilie hung up before hearing what came after "bye"

-

The plane ride was pretty smooth, and the hotel they were staying at was quite nice. It was about 10 in the morning, the day after they arrived.

"So where are you going?" Beth asked sternly

"We're just going to hang out, we're meeting halfway,"

"Be safe," Alma said from the bed.

"When are you coming home?"

"She'll be okay, Beth. Don't worry about her," Alma continued trying to stop Beth's interrogation, "She's twenty years old,"

"Just because she's twenty doesn't mean she can't make bad decisions about strangers she calls once a week!"

"Beth..."

"What if they do it?" Seeing Beth be a somewhat normal little sister was a little different from her normal chess genius self.

"Beth! That's none of your business,"

"Also if I would fuck my boyfriend who I was dating for a couple of years, I definitely am not going to fuck someone who I've only really talked to over the phone,"

"Emilie!" Alma went to sort of reprimand, but then tilted her head to the side, "Nevermind, you have a point,"

"Thank you mother,"

Emilie settled back on the bed.

"When are you supposed to leave?"

"Around noon, you guys will already be out at the tournament by then,"

"Anyways, since you're going to go eat out with him, we're going to go out to brunch right now and head straight there,"

"Ok sounds good," Emilie said as Alma put on her gloves and Beth applied lipstick. They left shortly after. She waved at him from the window, this made Beth bump into a very familiar looking face that she didn't recognize at the time.

Emilie laid on the hotel bed until a knock at the door came. She checked through the peephole of the door and couldn't believe her eyes.

He was early and she wasn't ready. She inhaled and exhaled, attempting to mentally prepare herself.

Emilie opened the door. "What are you doing here and why so early?"

"I didn't want you to miss you if you leave early, and I wasn't about to let you ride the bus,"

"That's very nice of you but give me ten minutes,"

"You look fine, but sure," The door then closed in his face. Without knowing what to do he just slumped down and sat against the wall.

After some pinning of the hair, a few brushes of plus, some eyeliner, and lipstick, Emilie opened the door again.

"Ok, you ready to go?"

He grabbed her hand and they walked out and started their little adventure.