Option #2

"I'd rather stay out with my bitchy sister than stay in this house with you tonight!" She screamed at him before slamming the door and taking her suitcase back to her old home.

That was the end of one of their last fights.

Emilie had had enough with his constant neglect to the relationship, treating her more like a dinner-making babymaker than a wife, she may want companionship but Emilie Harmon still knew when she was being treated badly so after she gave him chances to change and he didn't, she moved out of the house and moved in with Beth.

Yes, their relationship wasn't the best, but they were still sisters. Beth was even furious at Sam.

They lived like this for about a week until something out of routine happened. While Beth was dancing to the blaring radio, day drunk at 10 am, there was a pound at the door. Emilie was expecting to answer it and have it be the mailman, or even Sam begging her to come back home.

Instead it was a straw-haired Christmas ruining asshole.

"What are you doing here?" they asked each other at the same time.

"I have a right to be here, you don't so why are you here?" Emilie said pointedly, she was day drunk like Beth.

"Well I was trying to check on Beth because the last time I left a Harmon to deal with things on her own it didn't go so well so I wanted to check on her,"

"Ummmmmmm.... We're fine,"

"Well by your standards sure but she hasn't played in any recent tournaments and she is avoiding everything so I wouldn't say she's fine,"

"I'm her big sister, I'd know," she said in a know it all attitude. The booze in her system made her seem very theatrical, this hid the load of annoyance she had in seeing and speaking to him.

"Well I wouldn't say you're doing to well either but I'm not here for you," he paused and tried to take a step inside,

"No-no you aren't coming in,"

"Why aren't you helping Beth sober up?" he was standing a lot closer to her now since she basically body blocked him from coming in, "I know you actually care about her so why are you enabling her?"

"This isn't your place," is all she said. Part of Emilie knew he had a point, but that part of her didn't have the power to take over right now.

"Who's at the door!" Beth yelled from inside.

"It's no one!" Emilie yelled back but Beth still came over to look, bottle of gin in hand.

"Oh it's the dude who fucked my sister and then tried to screw me when she got married,"

Emilie reached out to grabbed the bottle and took a drink before adding, "He never got that far, he probably tried to get further with you than me,"

"Oh really?" Beth said in a mocking tone, "Go away, Benny," she said plainly afterward.

"Beth I'm really concerned about you, it's not just that you can out drink me it's just-"

"Emilie don't you think Benny has things he needs to worry about beside my minor problems?"

Emilie nodded in agreement.

Beth took it a step further, "Maybe like pining after my sister who is obviously trying to move on to her trash husband?"

"That's not his issue," Emilie said quickly.

"Either way, Benny... you don't need to worry about me," Beth gave a sarcastic, insincere smile, "Please go away,"

"Beth come on-" he said before stopping himself, he knew Beth pretty well and saying anything past that still wouldn't have gotten to her.

"Bye bye Benny," is what Emilie said to him as she tried to close the door on him before her told Emilie,

"You and Beth are a lot alike, you know? Both self sabotaging and avoidant of your real issues," Emilie reopened the door to say something back,

"You and Beth are a lot alike too ya know? Both genius idiots who I love but right now I can only tolerate one at a time and that one is not you so buh bye!" her words were more slurred than his but she still slammed the door in his face before going to join Beth near the radio.

Benny went back to his car and hit his hands on the steering wheel in frustration. He had two options, watch the Harmons spiral and not be able to do anything about it or go back home not do anything about it and at least not have to watch them ruin themselves.

He chose the second option.