Chapter 13: Asteroids for Autism

This was it, your big race day. First day of the new year and you were doing a triathlon at the reverse golden hour. You just hoped you wouldn't regret your decision as you trudged to the bathroom to get ready.

Aaron had actually come to meet you at the crack of dawn, so you were walking around together before your group was called to the start line. As you signed up online for the triathlon, you had decided to join Team Asteroids for the free merchandise, and to support the cause of course.

Several tents were set up between the beginning and ending of the route, offering snacks and other items for sale to raise money for autism awareness and research.

Unbeknownst to you, two of your best friends, Booth and Bones, had just arrived and were watching you guys from afar. They saw you talking animatedly to Aaron as you were hooked on his arm and Booth gave his partner a knowing look, which she did not return. Booth carefully led Brennan to a different area, wanting to keep their presence a surprise until the end of your triathlon.

Seven minutes before your start time, an announcer declared through the speaker system that your group should head to the starting line.

You were by the finish line with Aaron, cheering on the kids' portion of the triathlon as they crossed over the final checkpoint. When you heard the loudspeaker, you shared a look with Aaron before heading to the start line, separating with a sad smile. He weaved through the gaggles of supporters to get to the sidelines as you did the same with the other participants to get to a good starting position.

Booth and Brennan made their way to the finish line as you got ready to set off to watch you, keeping the man you were with in their sights as well. They saw you grinning to your partner in the moments before you were released, and after you were well enough away, they approached your mysterious date.

Seeley could tell easily enough by the suit that the man you were with was a Fed, and he could read in the man's hardened gaze that he had the misfortune of taking a life. Before he could give his partner any warnings, Brennan was already waving the man down and walking purposefully toward him.

Aaron watched as a woman and her partner made their way towards him. He knew he was their target as he had caught the woman's analytical stare when they first arrived fifteen minutes ago. Pulling himself away from the barrier he was being crowded against, he strode to meet them halfway.

The three of them wordlessly agreed to talk at a more private place, even as there was still quite a distance between them as well as the crowd. They all changed direction simultaneously when Aaron canted his head, gesturing to the tree that was out of the way of most of the tents and people.

Brennan introduced herself first, oblivious to the immediate tension between the men.

"Dr. Temperance Brennan of the Jeffersonian Institute," she offered a hand, "I assume you're an acquaintance of Y/N L/N?"

Aaron looked between the pair, his gaze settling on the proffered hand before shaking it. "Supervisory Special Agent Aaron Hotchner, and yes, I'm a friend of Ms. L/N."

"Looked like you're more than friends, buddy," Booth remarked under his breath.

Aaron pretended to not hear, "Excuse me?"

"Nothing, nothing man," Booth plastered on a smile, "Special Agent Seeley Booth." He held up a hand, gripping a little harder than necessary as Aaron shook it.

Brennan observed the interaction, her brow furrowing as she brought her hand up to hold Aaron's chin, turning his head side to side to examine his bone structure. "So you're Aaron Hotchner, Y/N's mentioned you. Quite a lot in fact."