6. Backstab And Forget

Victoria's POV~ Night after the battle
"So I have a question." I told Laf as we laid down on our cots. Alex, John and Herc were out doing rounds and making sure that the camp was safe. "Oui?" Laf asked. "What's your real name? When I first met you, you said it was to long to remember." I asked. "Oh.. would you really like to know?" Lafayette asked me. "Yeah." I chuckled. "Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette." He told me. My eyes widened and I looked over at him. He looked over at me and laughed. "I'm gonna call you Gil now." I smiled. He rolled his eyes playfully while laughing a bit.

"What's your full name?" Lafayette asked me. "Victoria Belle Dawn Schuyler." I answered. "Both somewhat long names I guess." I chuckled. Lafayette chuckled at my remark. "I'm going to call you Belle now." Laf smiled over at me. "Fair enough." I laughed.

We sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. Laf was drifting off to sleep. I was as well until I realized that Alex had given me his blanket again. I sighed and stood up, walking over to Alex's cot with his blanket. I laid his blanket out for him and walked back to my cot. I got my blue jacket again and laid down with it ontop of me.

I heard shuffling coming from Laf. "Belle, you can't sleep in the cold again." Laf mumbled. I decided to pretend to be asleep to see what he would do. More shuffling was heard and then I was picked up. Laf brought me over to his cot and laid down under the blanket with me like we did the night before. I curled up to his chest and fell into a deep sleep as he played with my hair.

Alexander's POV
As four soldiers woke up for their rounds Herc, John and I made our way back to the tent. Now, I didn't expect Laf or Victoria to be awake but when we walked into the tent I did not at all expect what we saw. Laf and Vic cuddled up to each other, sleeping soundly. "I thought it was a one night thing." John whispered. "I did too." I whispered back, Herc nodded in agreement with us. "Well, I'm going to bed." Hercules shrugged, walking over to his cot and taking his boots off. John nodded in agreement and walked over to his cot as well. I sighed and shuffled to my cot, laying down without taking my shoes off.

I couldn't sleep the whole night. Are Laf and Victoria going to get together? What happens if they do? Will they leave to France when the war is over? Are they going to forget about us? No surely not. Victoria would never do that.. But would Laf?

All these thoughts racing through my head the whole night made my feelings towards Lafayette a little more bitter. Whether it was because I was scared of losing Victoria, the closest person I have to a sister, or the thought of Laf hurting her, I was still loosing my liking towards the Frenchman.

As the sun rose, so did I. I shuffled around the tent silently, writing letters to congress, Washington's wife, or Angelica Schuyler, the woman I promised myself I wouldn't fall for. But here we are. I really just wanted her to leave me alone. But alas, she just can't take the hint.

I had a feeling something was going to go horribly wrong today...

Victoria's POV
I walked to the tent with my food and letter from Angelica in my hand. It was lunch time and I didn't want to make a fool of myself in front of the whole army so I decided to read the letter in the tent.

I sat on my cot and began putting off reading the letter. I ate my food as slowly as I could and took my jacket off as slowly as I could. Though moving like a turtle didn't slow down the time to read the horrific paper from my family.

Alexander~

What. No, this letter was addressed to me!

I can't wait to see you at next years Winter's Ball. It's really been a pleasure exchanging letters with you. How's the war going? Are you well? I sure hope you are. How's my disappointment of a sister doing? Is she dead? It would be a blessing to the world if she is.