You've Got Mail

The car was silent for the first few minutes of our journey before Mickey clears his throat

The car was silent for the first few minutes of our journey before Mickey clears his throat. "So?.." Mickey starts as he looks at me out of the corner of his eye.

"So?" I repeated with a laugh trying to keep my mind off of the fact that I had only known Mickey for a short while, and yet somehow, he had managed to talk me into getting into his car to go to the video store.

This is how dumb people get murdered.

"What's with you and Sidney?" He questions bluntly until he saw the look on my face. "Uh, I just thought we could get to know each other" I smiled at the sheepish look on his face.

"It's a long story" I sighed as I thought about my long lost brother, my deadbeat mother, and doormat father before my mind rests on perfect little Sidney, who could never do any wrong in our parents' eyes.

Mickey's eyes met mine. "We've got time," he tells me seriously as we drive along "that's if you want?" I noticed how he always followed up his question with an out if I didn't want to answer it.

I liked that.

"We've always been at war, Sid and I. She was always the golden child, and I was just me," I huff before continuing, "We were fine when we were kids, but then we grew up, and I found out some things about our family which tore us apart."

"Wow, that's a lot," Mickey expressed as I internally laughed, knowing that didn't even really scratch the surface of our family drama.

"I protected her a lot when our mom died, through the trial, and after even though I knew she was sending the wrong man to his doom," I admitted, not really knowing why.

I let out a sigh "after that, we were never really friends. We were barely twins. She hated that I had a lot of secrets, and well, I just disliked her. She was always child number one, and I was the one who shouldn't have been born".

I looked at Mickey and noticed his jaw had tightened. "When I went away after the murders, she stopped visiting me after 3 weeks. My dad always gave me an excuse, but I knew better," I hissed, still feeling the hurt and abandonment.

Mickey's hand reached out for mine before stopping short "I guess she really is just like our mother" I spit out words I had heard my brother use so many times before, but I never knew what he meant until I was older. Mickey looked over at me, shocked as he stopped the car.

Gazing out of the window, I saw we were at the video store that I had been to so many times before in my life. "Sorry," I sighed, realizing I had just ranted my whole life to him.

Feeling his hand on mine, I glanced over to see him looking at me seriously. "Don't be, okay? I'm always here to talk. Always." he whispered as he gripped my hand tighter.

I coughed and pulled my hand away as we both got out of the car, "So are you ready for this?" I ask, looking at Mickey, who was staring at me with a look I couldn't decipher.

A grin broke out on his face as he let out a chuckle. "I've got to admit something I'm a huge horror fan too."

I grinned and grabbed his hand. "Well then, let's go before all the crappy movies are taken," laughing, pulling Mickey into the video store, forgetting all about our conversation and only thinking about what film we were going to choose.

Dragging Mickey into the video store, I smiled, "So are we doing horror or what?" I asked, looking up at him as he smiled down at me. I was actually going to let go and just have some fun. What was better than watching movies with a new friend.

"How about we look around?" He said as his eyes scanned the store smiling, I looked down, and my eyes widened when I realized we were still holding hands. I was beginning to feel more comfortable with him, but not that comfortable.

Dropping Mickey's hand, I quickly walked over to the first section, which so happened to be the romance genre. Clearing my throat, I pretended to scan the covers, but as I eyed Mickey, I noticed he was doing the same "Not into romance?" I asked him with a small smirk.

Mickey looked over to me, his face in a half grimace. "Oh no, they're great. Just fine." he lied, making me smile widely at his obviousness. He looked like it was actually paining him just to say that.

"Great, so we can do our essay on this genre?" I say to him, wondering how he'd get himself out of it as I picked up a random video case from the shelf and waving it in front of his face with a gleeful grin.

Mickey's face dropped when he saw the copy of You've Got Mail, but he nodded slowly in reluctant agreement. "Yeah, sure," he swallowed awkwardly, reading over the film description. "I'm sure this could work if you want?".

Breaking my facade, I let out a giggle. "God, you're too easy," I tell him as he looks over to me in surprise. "I hate romance," I say to him as I walk to the next section when suddenly I felt a hand on my ribs, and fingers soon began to tickle.

"Ahh, no! Wait!" I scream out as Mickey tickles up my sides, causing me to begin laughing loudly.

"Say, 'Mickey, I'm sorry. You're the best,' " Mickey told me as I hear him laughing in my ear; the warmness of his breath tickled at my ears.

"Never!" I declare as he pulls me tighter into him as he tickled me more.

"Say it!" he shouts playfully, getting attention from the other shoppers who just glanced on with amused smirks at the two 'kids' playing around.

"Mickey, I'm sorry.  I'm the best," I squeal as I manage to turn myself in his arms. Looking up at him, I see him smiling widely with a devious twinkle in his eyes, "That was so unfair; how did you know I was ticklish?".

Mickey just shrugs, his smile never dropping "it's fair if it's the truth," he tells me with a cheeky smile, one that I noticed was frighteningly familiar.

Frowning to myself, I suddenly noticed everything about this situation screamed Stu. Mickey was so much like Stu that it almost made me forget that anything had happened. It was like being back in high school again.