Chapter Eleven: London?! & The Final Race

Mary soon woke up. She looked around, and she saw she was inside some kind of large room with lots of gears and cogs. Then, she looked up, and saw a large bell with a few smaller ones up above. She noticed there seemed to be four large clock faces in four large squares around her.

The ringing was deafening, and she wanted the noise to stop. Glancing around, Mary saw she was on a platform level with the clock faces, both her front wheels locked with parking boots. Mary looked up, and she saw Mater had woke from unconsciousness to the near-deafening sound of the bell being struck. He looked around to discover he was hanging from a rope on a rod above him. Mater looked around and caught sight of Finn and Holley, the two cars tied to a giant gear.

 Mater looked around and caught sight of Finn and Holley, the two cars tied to a giant gear

"Holley! Finn!" Mater called. "Where are we?"

"We're in London, Mater." Finn replied. "Inside Big Bentley."

"What?" Mary called out in shock.

Big Bentley is the clock tower of the Palace of Westminster (the Houses of Parliament) in London.

Mater cried out in surprise when he was suddenly dropped, the clock's gears lowering him several meters down before jerking to a halt

Mater cried out in surprise when he was suddenly dropped, the clock's gears lowering him several meters down before jerking to a halt. Mater gulped a bit at the sight of the twisting and turning gears below him. The giant, powerful gears spelt doom with a capital D. The giant gear Finn and Holley were tied to gave a turn, bringing them closer to an intersecting gear that would crush them, as the clock's minute hand moved by one minute.

"Oh, no." Mary whispered to herself.

Mater groaned a bit. "Oh, this...this is all my fault."

"Don't be a fool, Mater." Finn reassured to him.

"But I am, remember?" Mater protested. "You said so."

"When did I—?" Finn paused, remembering what he said to Mater before the truck went into the lemon meeting. "Oh. Mater, I was complimenting you on what a good spy you are."

No sooner had he finished that sentence, Mater finally got angry. "I'M NOT A SPY!" He yelled out. It was silent for a moment, Mater's shout echoing throughout the clock. Mater slumped down in defeat. "I've been tryin' ta tell you that the whole time. I really am just a tow truck."