Chapter 8

Nicko just listened as Lee Ann cried. He wanted to comfort her but he didn't know what happened so he wasn't sure how. It took nearly fifteen minutes before Lee Ann finally stopped crying.

"Pupuntahan kita," Nicko said. "Magpapaalam lang ako kina Nanay."

"H'wag na. Anong oras na, o. Mag-aalala lang ako sa'yo habang nagbibiyahe ka. I just want to let the pain out..."

"Magbibihis lang ako—"

"Nicko, h'wag na nga. Masyado na kitang inaabala. Magkikita naman tayo sa Lunes. Sa school na lang tayo mag-usap."

"Friday pa lang ngayon, Lee. Matagal pa bago mag-Lunes. Besides, you wouldn't feel comfortable confiding to me there dahil maraming tao. I know you, you don't want to seem weak in front of other people."

Lee Ann wanly laughed.

"Ibababa ko muna itong telepono para makapagbihis ako at makapagpaalam."

"No. H'wag na—"

"Lee, anong klaseng kaibigan naman ako kung hindi kita kayang damayan ngayon? Anong klaseng tao naman ako kung pababayaan kitang umiyak mag-isa d'yan. Nararamdaman kong sobra kang nasasaktan or else you wouldn't even have opened up to me. Ni hindi mo nga yata sinabi 'yan sa mga Ate mo, eh, or else they wouldn't have left you by yourself."

"Nicko—"

"Wait for me, okay? And stop telling me that you don't need a friend right now kasi alam kong kailangan mo. Kahit sasabihin mong ayaw mo ay aalis pa rin ako para puntahan ka so you might as well give me your blessings."

She couldn't help but smile at his words. "Oo na. Mag-iingat ka sa pagmamaneho."

"Oo naman. See you."

"See you, Nicko."

Lee Ann wasn't sure if it was proper for Nicko to visit her. She wasn't sure if it was right to tell him about her and Nick's issues. But, she badly needed someone to talk to and she didn't want to get her sisters and their families involved.

Sasabihin ni Ate Alexa kay Kuya Alex 'tapos kakausapin ni Kuya Alex si Nick...and...and I'm not even sure if I am in a position where I could tell anyone about what happened to the baby...

She decided to take a bath and then change into a pair of gray capri pants and a white cotton shirt.

"That was fast..." she said out loud.

Had she been expecting Nick, she would have taken hours to get dressed because she would always exert so much effort to look her best. But, with Nicko, she could be herself.

"Miss Lee Ann..." She heard a knock on her door.

She pulled it open. "Hi, Manang Lalang."

"Nand'yan na po 'yung kaklase ninyo."

"Sige po. Bababa na po ako. Salamat po," she said before running down the stairs to meet her friend. "Nicko!" she happily said.

"Hi, Lee," he replied smiling. "Tara..." He took her hand in his.

"Saan tayo pupunta?"

"Drive-drive lang."

"Aba, marami ka yatang gas ngayon," she kidded.

"Nagbukas ako ng alkansya para sa'yo, Binibining Carbonel," he replied.

She laughed. "Gan'un? Dapat na ba akong makonsensya?"

"May gan'un ba sa magkaibigan?" he countered.

"Manang, labas po muna kami," she told the house help.