Goodbye

Everyone in their pack knows the two best friends are mates. Everyone has known since they were just dumb toddlers reigning terror upon the pack.

They called themselves BFF's just to annoy their Alpha. They pranked the patrolling betas into thinking rouges were closing in— they got in big trouble after that. They were like two peas in a pod, growing up to be happy and healthy alphas.

They adored the two. That's why today, even though it was the future Alpha Dimitri's birthday, the community was silent for the first time. And as much as the pack wanted to see them flourish and thrive together, they also knew why they could never be. The pairing would be breaking Old Law if they were allowed to stay together, unspeakable things would happen if the pack didn't listen.

Dimitri and Kaleb were the packs saddest story. They pitied the two, truly.

Even the Alpha, a fair and loved ruler, was powerless to stop the fate of the two destined. He wanted his son to be with a good mate, like Kaleb. He trusted Kaleb enough to know he'd make a fine ruler alongside his son.

But Kaleb was born an alpha. He'd soon get the urge to fight for dominance, even if it was against Kaleb's wish, it was in his blood as an alpha. By the time Kaleb would be able to return to the pack, weak and too tired to fight from an aged body, Dimitri would be the Alpha and a successor would already be of age.

Maybe then they could be together. But only then.

Wish as they all might, nothing could delay the future the two alphas had without each other.

Kaleb couldn't sleep. He stayed up all night packing a bag and searching through old things.

He found an old photo album filled with pictures of a golden yellow pup playing with a midnight black one. They were so tiny then, you wouldn't believe how large they've grown.

Dimitri's wolf looks the same as he does now, just multiplied in size. The same thick, slightly wavy, coat of tans, whites, and light browns that seems to glow underneath the right light. His wolf looks even more elegant now with its powerful legs and neck that carried a beautiful mane of golden rays, framing his angular wolffish face.

Kaleb smiled as he flipped through the pages and pages of the two growing up together. Oh how he dreamed of the simpler times. Times in which he chased Dimitri's tantalizing wolf over rivers and roots with not a care in the world. He wanted to go back.

He wanted to stay.

There was a collage of the two of them on Dimitri's 11th birthday. It was Dimitri's first controlled shift and you could see a wide smile on Kaleb's face as he stood next to his were-friend.

Kaleb chuckled at the silly sight of his best friends disheveled wolf.

It truly was a sight. A picture of an 11 year old Kaleb bending down to wrap his small arms around a puppy version of Dimitri, still caught in a tangle of clothes. He still had his green dinosaur T-shirt on and a small bucket hat resting between his flattened ears. His fur shining that beautiful golden yellow.

You could practically see the pride in Kaleb's eyes as he looked into the camera.

He laughed at the photos through his teen years, those being the freshest in his mind. Him and Dimitri looked so dumb.

Kaleb remembers how they both thought they were such hot shit all throughout high school. It was no secret that the two wanted to save themselves for their mates, for some reason that made them even more popular. But then Kaleb found out his best friend, the one he was told he'd have to leave behind someday, was the one the moon goddess had chosen for him to spend the rest of his life with. He had never heard such a fucked up tale.