Predictable

For as long as Kaleb has remembered, he's always hated predictably.

Inevitability, destiny, fate, whatever you wish to call it, none of that appealed to him.

He often stopped halfway through books because the ending felt too predictable. TV shows were all the same. It was the same conflict and resolution copy and pasted over and over.

Even knowing that he had a predetermined mate out there made him sick to the stomach.

He grew tired of so many things simply because he thought he already knew how things were going to end.

To Kaleb, everything needed an ending chapter, a finale, a finishing move.

That intoxicating thought probably started with his father.

Kaleb's father was just another tragic tale of a martyr dying for what he believed in. Another fish in the pond.

Another case of someone who fought their whole life to leave a dent in this predictable world, just to end up leaving nothing but debt and the people—they swore to protect forever—alone.

His father was a dreamer, a coward too afraid to hold his own sons hand when he was scared of the dark. A fool too stupid to show up for Kalebs third birthday and all the ones that followed. A drunkard too daft to realize his goal of being one worthy of his mates love and affection was one well down the drain.

Instead of dying a beloved father and mate, he died alone.

His story was all too predictable.

He was the first figure in Kaleb's life to leave, but definitely not the last.

One by one friends and relatives started to fade away, leaving Kaleb cold and alone in the empty room he calls comfort. Everyone was too predictable, so predictable it made him cry.

Then there was this boy.

A boy who's brain lacked the space to lie, too honest for his own good. With shoulder length oxide yellow hair that curled like a question mark on the ends and green orbs that rival the beauty of rolling valley sides. A boy so full of wonder and curiosity that naïve wouldn't even begin to describe his personality. He looked of royalty.

The boy even convinced Kaleb that destiny wasn't a bad thing like he made it out to be. That not knowing the unknown grants a whole factory of possibility and freedom.

Kaleb started to hope for a mate, a good one that wouldn't leave, one that he wouldn't grow tired of.

He started wishing for a future, one with twists and turns, adventures around every corner.

Dimitri had introduced another world to Kaleb, and he was dying for more. He found Dem to be as much a mystery as he was refreshing.

The boy who never left, the one who never went back on his word, the one who held Kaleb's hand when he was terrified of the dark.

And what was even better, just when Kaleb thought he had him all figured out, he'd do something that'd surprise Kaleb all over again.

He was so unpredictable it scared Kaleb.

For some reason when the boy said "forever", Kaleb struggled not to believe him.

Younger Kaleb would be so disappointed to see himself turning into the one thing he hated most. They had so vividly told him how this would end, yet he chose to ignore them. The one time people admitted what he's being thinking since his youth, that the end was inevitable, the one time he allowed himself to choose ignorance.