Chapter 3

"What are we doing?" Plagg griped to Chat Noir as they peeked around a corner. Chat's hearing had alerted him to the arrival of Belle and the boy was curious to see who it was that he was to charm. The real animated character or some random civilian that had been blasted into the tale just as he was. When it had come to capturing Belle's father, he was a little surprised it was the animated character he had to trap. It was difficult to know how to go about it. Was he supposed to assume the role of the character or just play it off in his own way. Instead he decided to play it off in his own way. Opting for a mysterious charm instead of brute force. He hadn't been up in the prison since he had put the trespasser in his cell. Which was a bizarre experience in itself. He waited patiently around the corner, Plagg his only form of company until the girl would wander up the stairs. As she drew closer, her voice was different than he had remembered in the film. Oddly, the voice was familiar, but for some reason he couldn't quite place it. Chat ducked back behind the corner back into the shadows as the red fabric of her cloak came into view.

"Red? Belle's color is blue." Chat whispered aloud to himself. It was clear that this wasn't the animated character, but a random civilian that he would have to get to fall in love with him. It felt so wrong in his heart. He would be using this girl to get to the happily ever after of Beauty and the Beast. It was well known that he only had the eyes for Ladybug, so to be using a girl for his own well-being was truly sickening to him. This would be so unlike him to use a girl, but unfortunately it would have to be done in order to save Paris for a fairytale themed akuma. Of course, unless there was some other way to get out of this situation. Chat watched the girl as she took in the sight of.......Tom Dupen!? The girl yelped and ran to the cell, falling to her knees before the metal bars. In the process her hood slipped down, exposing her raven hair tied back with a red bow. "Marinette." Chat felt his body relax at the sight of his friend. At least she was someone he knew. Wait wouldn't that make this more difficult? He was playing games of the heart with his friend! Adrien didn't want to do that to her even if he was in his Chat Noir persona!

"Oh Marinette! Where are we!?" Tom spoke up reaching his strong arms through the bars to hold Marinette's small hand.

"Papa. We've been sent into a fairytale by an akuma. We're in Beauty in the Beast." She replied sweetly bringing his hand to her cheeks.

"But that means....." This was his que. With a deep breath Chat took a step out and leaned against the wall in his usual fashion. Time to put on a show.

"You would assume correctly." Chat smirked as he swung his tail with his wrist in a circular motion.

"That's not the line. Who are you?" Mari pointed out. This was it, it was time to reveal himself. Chat tried to bring himself to speak, but instead found himself briefly choking on air. Chat Noir straightened up off the wall as he coughed into his fist.

"I'm the beast of this story." Chat finally brought himself to say. There was a silence.

"Please let my father go. We are all trapped in this story together and want to find a way out." Mari pleaded toward his voice.

"You know I can't do that. That isn't how the story is told. The only way out is through the happily ever after. I'm sure you're familiar with the tale of Beauty and the Beast." Chat retorted with a little more aggression than he intended. He knew he was right, but the way he said it chilled him. In the end, he just chalked it up to being in the character position of the prince turned beast. Marinette sighed in defeat. Chat knew that she knew he was right.

"I'll follow the storyline. I'll trade myself for my father." Mari turned back to her father.

"No! Mari, we may be in a fairytale, but we need to stay together so that we can get out." Tom spoke up tenderly holding his daughter's face in his hands.

"Papa, that's not how the story of Beauty and the Beast goes. I have to do this. When we reach the final page, we'll break the spell." Mari replied holding his hand sweetly. "Figuratively and literally." Chat's heart ached. It was heartbreaking to watch Marinette plead with her father to let her go when all he wanted to do was protect her. "But first...." His friend's voice interrupted his thoughts. "Come into the light." This was the moment. He should have suspected it, but in all the commotion, he forgot that he would have to reveal himself. Oh shoot! Would he turn back into Adrien and reveal his identity at the happily ever after!? He would have to worry about that later. For now, he needed to focus on the current point of the story. If he screwed this up now there was no way he'd make it to the ending and break this telling of Beauty and the Beast to defeat the akuma. Reluctantly, Chat stepped into the light. He pretty much knew that they recognized him when they had view of his boot.

"Chat Noir!"

"Hey." Chat waved, one arm on the back of his neck. Uh oh, his Adrien was showing through. Instantly, Chat adjusted himself. He was the beast in this version, it was on him to carry the story along. Chat Noir inhaled deeply. "I'll take you up on your offer, but you must promise to remain here with me." Marinette looked down to the floor. He wasn't the real beast, was it truly that terrible to stay in the castle with him? Adrien and Marinette knew each other in both of his forms. Weren't they friends as both Chat Noir and Adrien? Chat Noir couldn't help but feel hurt, he too looked away. Marinette cleared her throat causing Chat to look over to her out of the corner of his eye.

"You ....have my word." Her reply was firm and honest. Adrien had known Mari long enough to know the tone of her voice when it was truthful, yet it gave him no comfort. This was how the story was laid out. There was a high possibility she was only staying with him because they were Beauty and the Beast. It would be foolish to get his hopes up, though every part of him wanted to do just that.

"I'll see that your father gets back to town." Chat made sure that his voice was soft and gentle. His role may have been the beast, but in reality, he could never bring himself to be one. There was a brief pause before Chat snapped himself out of it and strolled confidently past his friend, who was now huddled on the floor, to release Tom Dupen from the prison cell. Chat Noir escorted Mr. Dupen downstairs and to the courtyard without further words. The old rustic carriage came to life, as Chat forced Tom inside.

"No! I shall not leave my daughter!" Tom fired as he fought back against the teenage superhero of modern Paris. It was truly a fight of strength for Chat. Tom was a big strong man compare to his smaller teenage boy frame. Eventually, Chat managed to secure Tom in the carriage.

"I promise Mr. Dupen, no harm will come to Marinette. I'll get us out of this fairytale. You have my word." Chat promised as he locked the door. Tom reluctantly gave in. Watching the carriage stomp away out the gate toward town, Adrien realized the weight of his words. Tom was know relying on him to protect Marinette and save the day. He couldn't screw up this iconic tale as old as time.