Chapter 4

Marinette knew that this part of the story needed to happen, but it didn't mean that it hurt any less. In the end she was still saying goodbye to her father. She felt the tears prick at her eyes. One would think that being in a fairytale would be a dream come true, but Marinette didn't feel that way. This was scary. This place was completely new, and the fate of the modern world rested on her shoulders. She needed to get back to reality to defeat the akuma. On top of that, Tikki was missing. If she messed up this fairytale it would be her fault entirely. She wanted someone to wrap her up in their arms and tell her that everything would be alright, and that person had always been her father, but he had just been sent away. Marinette feel further to the floor and wept. She heard footsteps on the stairs, forgetting entirely that Chat Noir was the "beast".

"Princess, I'm not going to let you stay in the tower. I have to ask you to follow me to your room." His voice had no trace of aggression in it whatsoever. Instead it sounded more of sympathy and pain. No one moved. "Do you want me to save everyone in Paris, including your father or not?" Chat's tone was firmer now, and the sudden change frightened her. It wasn't often that Chat Noir lost his temper. The only times she had seen him upset were when she rejected him, not his greatest trait, but he always came around. It made sense at least, it was only natural that he would be upset for being rejected. However, that was beside the point. Composing herself, Mari sat up onto her knees.

"I'm sorry Chaton." She whimpered brushing the tears away. He didn't give a response, instead he just turned his head away from her clearly in thought. What about she wasn't sure, but whatever it was she could tell that it weighed heavily upon him.

"Let's just go." He finally spoke, hopping off the wall and heading back down the stairs. Mari slowly got to her feet before following her partner out of the tower. The halls were slightly brighter now as she and her partner traveled along them in silence. Lumiere in Chat's grasp lighting their way. "I don't think I need to tell you that you're aloud to go anywhere you would like in the castle. Of course, except for the west wing." In all honesty, Mari was a bit startled when Chat's voice broke through the silence.

"But I already know what's up in the west wing. Why am I still forbidden to see it?" Mari asked. Chat's expression changed almost immediately from unreadable to flustered.

"Because I.......uh.......I.....because that's how the story goes." He finally said. Mari knew he was hiding something, and she had to admit that she was curious. What could have possibly changed from the original movie to this version that he so desperately wanted to keep her from seeing the west wing? The conversation ceased there when he stopped in front of a doorway. "This will be your room Mari. As story goes, you will be joining me for dinner."

"I'm afraid I won't be Chaton." The words left a burn on her tongue. Marinette wanted nothing more than Chat's company at this point. He knew her better than anyone, granted that was only because he was her partner when she was Ladybug, but nonetheless. She wanted someone she trusted and deeply cared for that would understand her to help her clear her head and solve the situation, but Mari knew better than to break the structure of this specific fairytale. They had to get to the happily ever after and break the spell and stop the akuma and no one knew what breaking the script of the story would do. Frankly, she didn't want to take that risk. The room was big and elegant, yet dark. Unfortunately, it got even darker when Chat Noir closed the door without further word. Marinette had expected him to slam it shut, but he instead just pulled it closed until the latch clicked. The tears swelled up again as she felt her heart ache flare up again. Mari quickly ran to the bed and flopped down on it. Why did this hurt just as much? Every part of her longed to have Chat's company. She wanted him to tell her that everything would be alright. That they would get through this. She missed his witty banter and oddly enough, his uplifting puns. The girl would have been mistaken to not think that he wasn't feeling the stress and pain of this all. What she failed to grasp, was how stressful and painful it was for him.

"Marinette?" Mari sat up on the bed to the familiar voice. It was Tikki!

"Tikki? Where are you?" Marinette sniffled smearing the tears across her cheeks.

"Over here Marinette." Mari glanced around the room some more before finally spotting the wardrobe. It was bright red with black accenting. Tikki had been transformed into the wardrobe! That explained why Marinette couldn't find her!

"Oh Tikki! I'm so glad I found you!" Marinette leapt off the bed and ran to her ....kwami?......and embraced her.

"What's going on Marinette?"

"The akuma sent us into a fairytale. Beauty and the Beast to be exact." Marinette clarified quickly.

"What do we do?"

"We have to get to the happily ever after. I think." Mari wasn't sure if this would be the answer to getting out of this, but she couldn't think of any other way to break out of the timeline. "Except, I can't remember how it ends. It's been so long since I've sat down and watched it." The girl admitted still in thought.

"I don't know if this is correct, but doesn't Belle have to fall in love with the beast before the rose wilts to break the spell, so that he can turn back into a prince?" Tikki interjected. Why hadn't she remembered that!?

"Your right Tikki!" Marinette almost jumped with excitement, she knew how to get out of Beauty and the Beast. All she had to do was break the beast's curse! "That's how we're gonna get out of here! All I have to do is say that I love him, kiss him, and then the curse will break so that we can go back to the modern world and defeat the akuma!"

"I don't think it's that simple Marinette. Doesn't it have to be true love?" Tikki's skepticism was just, bringing Marinette back down to the moment. Tikki was right. The likely hood of the curse being broken from mere words and a random kiss was little to none

. This needed to be real. She, actually, had to fall in love with the beast. No! She needed to fall in love with Chat Noir! The realization hit her like a ton of bricks. How was she ever going to love another man!? Everyone knew that Adrien was the one that had captured her heart, so how was she going to let someone else have it? Especially, to Chat Noir! At least it wasn't to a random stranger, but still, Chat Noir! She had to truly give her heart over to her partner. The same partner she had rejected so many times as her alter ego!

"Oh no! Tikki your right! That means I have to truly fall in love with Chat Noir!" Tikki shot back in surprise. Marinette wasn't sure what to do. Would they be able to get out of this story at all now!?

"I'm sure it won't be that bad Marinette. How about you start by going to that dinner he invited you too?" Tikki clearly knew something Mari didn't, but the teen didn't pick up on that.

"I can't Tikki." Mari sighed remembering the invitation.

"Why not!?"

"Because that's not how Beauty and the Beast goes?" Mari said softly unaware that Chat had just started watching the moment through the magic mirror. "Besides, even if I wanted to, I'm not emotionally ready for that." The girl admitted as she sunk back down onto the bed.

"Marinette." Tikki's voice was low and gentle. The brief silence was interrupted by a knock on the door. There was no question of who it was.

"Princess, I ask you again to join me for dinner."

"I can't Chat." she replied trying to hold back the sadness in her voice.

"Please?"

"No!" She couldn't take it. He needed to go away! Every fiber in her body still wanted his comfort and reassurance, but that wasn't possible right now, and his persistence only hurt her more and more.

"Well, I'm sorry to tell you this, but if you don't eat with me than you won't be eating at all." With that he left. For a third time tonight, Marinette wept. This was definitely not the fairytale she had imagined for herself so many times before. It was an unfortunate nightmare.