Chapter 10

Mirror in hand, Marinette mounted up and rode Phillipe out the castle gates into the forest. The beautiful ladybug dress catching the blistering wind with enough force that their speed was slowed by mere seconds as they galloped through the trees. Mari's bangs flew wildly in her face obstructing her sight. Phillipe's hooves thundered over the ground as they approached a clearing. Mari pulled back hard on the reins causing the horse to dig his heels in to make a snappy halt. This wasn't right. Marinette had expected to see her father lying in the snow, but he wasn't there. Either their timing was off, or her father was back in the village. Regardless, Marinette hoped that the story wasn't screwed because of this. They had to get to the happily ever after. They had to break the spell and get back to reality. With a kick of her heels, Phillipe kicked into gear and galloped away from the clearing. She had to get to the village quickly. As she rode, her mind raced back to her previous interaction with Chat Noir. She tried to keep her focus on what was happening now, but the view of the path continued to disappear as she vanished deeper into her own mind. Chat Noir had feelings for her! As Marinette! On top of that, she had confessed to having feelings for him! For him! Chat Noir! The cat themed superhero of Paris! Did she really have feelings for him, or was the fairytale getting to her with all its romantic scenes and musical numbers? Marinette didn't know. Would things have been different or the same if it was Adrien instead of Chat Noir? What if she had remained Ladybug instead of detransforming into Marinette? If they had been sent into a different fairytale together, would that change anything? Her head was beginning to spin. So many questions, so little answers. Her brain began to wander again, except this time it went back to the dance. Chat had been so nervous, and Marinette had to admit she was a bit flattered that she made him nervous. It made sense giving the moment that had followed, leading up to now, but that wasn't the point. She had joyfully danced with her partner in a massive ballroom to a very famous Disney tune. She wasn't surprised by Chat's skills in dancing, she had seen him dance many a times. It was just unexpected on how well he could preform ballroom dances. It had been magical and every fiber of her being wanted to go back to it. The girl was drug back to reality when Philippe just about rammed her face into a low hanging tree branch. Thankfully, her fast reflexes allowed her to dodge the object and prevent any casualties. With her focus reinstated, Marinette clutched to Philippe as they exited the forest and galloped over an open field, the village wasn't far now. In fact, from here, Marinette could see the lanterns as they burned outside the doors of each individual house. When she got into town, she was surprised to see that the town had gathered around a cottage, the one she could only assume to be hers.

"Stop! What's going on here!?" Marinette hollered as she brought Philippe to a stop and dismounted before running through the crowd and up the stairs. There, she found her father. "Papa! Are you alright?" Marinette questioned as she wrapped her arms around Tom.

"Marinette! I'm so glad you're safe!" Tom said pulling his daughter close.

"Oh, come on Marinette! Your father was going on about leaving you in a castle with some guy that goes by....what was it....Chat Noir?" Mari turned around to see the owner of the voice. Gaston! The man hadn't been replaced by a civilian, he was still the animated character. That meant that Chat Noir had a real fight on his hands. Gaston was a big burly guy, and not like her father. Sure, Tom was big and strong, but he was mostly just a large marshmallow. Gaston was smaller in figure, but he had a muscular frame. Gaston was pure muscle. Over the years, Ladybug had begun to see where Chat Noir was beginning to develop a similar frame. One day his figure would be the same as the animated character's but it would be awhile before he did. Even so, between Chat and Gaston, Chat was the more attractive one, hands down. Adrien topped them both, but......wait a minute!? What was she thinking!? Focus Marinette. She needed to do something. Marinette had to think up a response.